welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1121, 1122, 1123 ... 1134, 1135, 1136  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
+ cat is asleep on my lap
- I need to get chores done
+ but he's softly snoring
- but I also need to pee
+ but he's soooo cute!

My cat has the magic ability to sense when I need to get off the chair for something and then proceeds to climb and snuggle on my lap.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i love is mine's ability to sense the importance of my need to move.

kitchen timer going off amid sounds of something boiling over on the stove? no worries, sit tight.

recross my ankles, slowly and carefully, because my foot is going to sleep? leap off in alarm and then stand there looking all hurt and offended and unloved.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got roped into an overhaul of my neighbor's computer and entertainment situation.

Going to have to move and set up some TVs, cull some cable boxes, set up some VCR/DVD players and an Apple TV.

Going to have to figure out why an old Win2K desktop and a slightly less old WinXP laptop have no internet access. The former is wired to the router and the latter has a wireless card that apparently can't be enabled. The laptop also seems to have a ransomware infection. Also going to have to figure out why another desktop of similar vintage won't power up at all.

Going to check out a "gifted" HP laptop that's old enough for a learner's permit to see if I can wipe the old Windows password, so the machine can be repurposed as a portable DVD player.

Going to have to find out why her Asus tablet apparently can't run for five seconds without telling us that the Google Play Store is broken. Also, this is really my first hands-on with Android at all.

When I first went over there, I thought I was in for the simple job of wiping some old drives before they got donated to a charity. All I had with me was a copy of DBAN. That's not really up to the task of all the above.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Car wouldn't start when I got out of school
- One of my battery terminals had corroded through and was loose, meaning a jump wasn't going to work... I needed a new terminal
+ After about an hour, with nothing but a Fred Meyer for supplies, I was able to jury rig a solution that got my car to start
+ There's a parts store near my house... just in case my solution failed, I could walk home
+ Got a new terminal
- It was 5pm and totally dark by the time I'd done all this, I need to leave for class at 7:30am, and sunrise is set for 7:45am... and I have no portable lamps of any kind.
- Wrenching on the car by headlamp
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
+ After about an hour, with nothing but a Fred Meyer for supplies, I was able to jury rig a solution that got my car to start

Fred Meyers is the shit. I visited one last time I was in WA state and was amazed and bewildered that a store could actually be that big.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Fred Meyers is the shit. I visited one last time I was in WA state and was amazed and bewildered that a store could actually be that big.

Hahah, thats funny that people would like it, here in eugene, we have an ancient crumbling eyesore of a baseball stadium...fred meyer wants to give the school district like 5 million dollars for the property to put a store in.

The citizenry of the town is acting like they're smashing their feet with a hammer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Hahah, thats funny that people would like it, here in eugene, we have an ancient crumbling eyesore of a baseball stadium...fred meyer wants to give the school district like 5 million dollars for the property to put a store in.

The citizenry of the town is acting like they're smashing their feet with a hammer.

For 5 million couldn't they just buy and set up a better baseball stadium, and still have some left over? (assuming it's a smaller baseball stadium, not some giant MLB stadium).
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH no...they already have a better baseball stadium.

They want to....god...ok the YMCA (incidentally already has a huge building and fields) wants to offer 4 million. There's pressure on the city (who has been in budget crisis for as long as ive lived here) to also buy it for like 4.5.

Eugene is where unrealistic people go to pretend they have a clue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Eugene is where unrealistic people go to pretend they have a clue.

I like to think of it as a filter for the rest of the state. Hipsters and yuppies go to Portland, wannabe cowboys and Californians go to Bend, hippies and crazies go to Eugene.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:

If memory serves, aren't they smaller than a Real Canadian Superstore? They are big, though. I, luckily I guess, park just across the street from one when I take the train to my clinical site this quarter. I also parked under a street lamp because that's where the only open spot was. So, it could have been a lot worse.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Hipsters and yuppies go to Portland

Hey! ... I mean, yeah, Portland is basically just like Portlandia and you could probably make a good living if you opened a store that just sold skinny jeans, porkpie hats, and mustache wax... but there are also six universities, probably twice that many colleges/community colleges (and at least four of all those are strictly healthcare related), and what they call the Silicon Forest. So we have geeks and nerds, too.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:

If memory serves, aren't they smaller than a Real Canadian Superstore? They are big, though. I, luckily I guess, park just across the street from one when I take the train to my clinical site this quarter. I also parked under a street lamp because that's where the only open spot was. So, it could have been a lot worse.

I wouldn't actually know, because I've never been to a Real Canadian Superstore Embarassed.

I do most of my shopping at Costco or Safeway, Safeway is certainly smaller, Costco might be the same-ish size but is a little different because it isn't so much a store as it is a warehouse full of food.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grad school acceptance letter wrote:
Despite a horrible academic record, you're in. Your major professor says you're his best student in 25 years, prove him right and we'll find you money, but you ain't getting nothing until you do.

Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Forestry?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, focus on integrating optimization and mapping technologies.

I'm loathe to add to my debt before I can clear it, but a bachelor's just isn't worth as much as it used to be. So I can either spend multiple years in shit jobs while my higher skills atrophy, or roll the dice with a master's.

And, on the bright side, I've already got a TA-ship lined up for winter term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1121, 1122, 1123 ... 1134, 1135, 1136  Next
Page 1122 of 1136

Jump to: