welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1124, 1125, 1126 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
No, move to Bellingham. We have subdued excitement.

Hey! I already told you that you were being relocated to a settlement in Oregon for people I want to hang out with. How did you make it off the cattle truck? I swear you can't find good help these days... if you want someone abducted and forced to resettle you just have to go abduct them yourself.
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Moved out of my wife's house finally and started the actual divorce process
- Am in limbo now until that gets finalized
+/- Staying with my mom in the meantime
+ Found a bunch of open mic nights in the area to keep myself busy
- The one I went to tonight was not the best for me to play at.
-VFW, so no anti war songs(about 15% of my total setlist)
-old people, so nothing really from the 90's(about 75 percent of my total setlist)
-I'm going to get a random selection of six other musicians up there so nothing with a lot of chord changes(which left me with three songs, exactly)

Of those three, I sang one and a half, thinking that I was going to sing the third, but for some reason I couldn't get everyone on the same page on a 12 bar blues and it was just a train wreck so we stopped after one verse. Then I was rhythm guitar for the next three songs which I learned on stage. Yay.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
No, move to Bellingham. We have subdued excitement.

Hey! I already told you that you were being relocated to a settlement in Oregon for people I want to hang out with. How did you make it off the cattle truck? I swear you can't find good help these days... if you want someone abducted and forced to resettle you just have to go abduct them yourself.

My striped pants confused them, like zebra stripes confuse lions.

Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so vindicated. It's nice knowing that other people share your frustration.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I feel so vindicated. It's nice knowing that other people share your frustration.

I've found that clothing seems to be made for either tall, skinny men, or shorter, more 'rotund' men.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda like women's clothing - you can be short and fat or tall and skinny - you can't be tall and fat (at least, as far as clothing and especially stocking manufacturers are concerned).
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a limit to just how tall and skinny, though. I have the hardest time finding pants that aren't four inches too short.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a limit to just how tall and skinny, though. I have the hardest time finding pants that aren't four inches too short.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, tall has always been a problem. i pretty much gave up on women's shirts, i got so tired of "long" sleeves that ended well short of my wrists.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically all of my coats seem to be made for someone much shorter and much rounder than I, which works out okay on days when I have to wear a bazillion layers of clothing (January), but otherwise is a nuisance

maybe I should switch to more of a trenchcoat style or something, seeing as I tend to prefer longer torso-coverings in general

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time getting women's shirts that are long enough in the torso. I'm not even going to discuss trying to buy a button-up blouse. Apparently some designers think we are all flat-chested AND short.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Ennis wrote:

I've found that clothing seems to be made for either tall, skinny men, or shorter, more 'rotund' men.

Trying to buy dress shirts is a nightmare for me.

I have a 44" chest and a 34" waist. It's either tight on my shoulders, or hangs of my waist like a flag. Ever see a baggy dress shirt tucked into a suit? It looks like a tutu.

If I get a "slim" or "fitted" shirts they fit semi comfortably, but the sleeves are painted on my arms, and I have to get them 4-6" longer to accommodate my shoulders pulling the material back every time I move my arms.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually learning how to sew so I can give the middle finger to all the clothing retailers who don't stock my size (and those that kinda do but are expensive). Today I'm making a waistcoat from a pattern I created from a waistcoat I had custom made for me when I was in the Philippines. I'm learning a lot as I go (mainly that pockets are devils to make). Maybe soon I can step up into making things that have sleeves. Setting sleeves seem hard. But yeah, I hope to one day look at, say, a jacket style that I like (which naturally would not come in my size) and go "psh, I can make that", draw up a pattern then create a perfectly fitting garment.

DeD CHiKn, why don't you take a shirt that fits around the shoulders to the tailors to get it taken in? Or if you have a friend that sews, ply them with their favourite beverage and ask them?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think most clothing is actually made for people. I'm pretty convinced that pants are only made the way they are because everyone has gotten used to a crappy fit and don't realize these things are really uncomfortable. It is this horrible fashion delusion that I hope one day we'll all wake up from.

Fuck pants. Sad

(Except for striped ones.)

Samsally wrote:

A very tall and average weight friend of mine was convinced she was fat because she she for some reason didn't realize her clothes were made for a shorter, smaller people. It made me sad because she felt bad about it, and angry because she kept fat talking about herself so much that it contributed to body image issues for me.

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
DeD CHiKn, why don't you take a shirt that fits around the shoulders to the tailors to get it taken in? Or if you have a friend that sews, ply them with their favourite beverage and ask them?

I actually just found a nice little lady that tailors. She doesn't charge much, $5 a job, and does a great job. Shes taken in two suits and some pants for me.

I always give her a super nice tip because she is under charging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1124, 1125, 1126 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next
Page 1125 of 1137

Jump to: