welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got your Wifi locked down?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's password protected, anyway.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who is alleging you are infringing what copyright, and with what?

of course, copyright infringement can be a bit hazy - someone who holds a copyright can see infringements everywhere, which other people often really have to squint to see. but i think that tends to happen mostly when they think they can make a fortune suing you...maybe just post your bank balance?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they think I downloaded something I shouldn't have. Which is hilarious and annoying because I haven't downloaded anything, let alone something illegal, for weeks? Whatever. They won't tell me what it is, just that the copyright owner is 'Irdeto USA, Inc."
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah - _that_ kind of copyright infringement. the kind where they are happy to collect smaller sums.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get my internet throttled for life? Shocked
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, modern dentistry can do some amazing things, provided you're willing to bankrupt yourself. In my now completed quest to max out my dental insurance for the year, I got six fillings in my front upper teeth.

Before, they were just shy of nightmarish in a couple spots, where big bad cavities had had a couple years to play. Now, they just look like normal happy (if slightly coffee stained) teeth. Can't even tell where the horrifying bits were.

It's too bad I spent so long training myself to not show them.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Won at the hardest trivia in town
+ On a two-man team with a guy I'd never met (both of our teams were no-shows)
+ People sitting next to us were nice
- I didn't realize the lady was flirting until I'd decided to adopt a persona and basically lie about who I was for the whole night
- About four beers in I forgot to keep lying, and so told her where I am every Tuesday (another trivia night)
- She invited herself to my other trivia night
- Can't go to my other trivia night for several weeks
+ Trivia winnings paid for all my drinking
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Graduating from college for the third time in... 9 days
- Three more years until I'm done for good
- Broke! Still being a broke student at 31 sucks.
+/- By the time I graduate I'll have been in school for 9 years... and be 34. And just starting a career, finally, in my mid-30s. AGH. I hate being an adult.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what is your list of degrees now?

being an adult can be fun. all of a sudden, you can do what you want with your evenings - no studying!

unless you are silly enough to take extension classes later, and then you are all "how did i ever get all this done before???"
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychology, philosophy and now nursing... the next one is my psychiatric nurse practitioner degree, which is where I'll stop.

I've been good so far, the only student loan debt I have is from the nursing degree. It's just kind of consumed my life, not to mention forced me to move to new cities twice, so it's been a lot of work. I don't mean that in a self-aggrandizing way, just that it's exhausting, and I feel like I've missed out on most of my 20s when people were traveling and having fun times.

But, once I've graduated in three more years... then... THEN I'm going to... umm... get a job, save up, replace my dying car... and THEN do something fun. SOMETHING.
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ knit myself a cozy little hat over the last four days.
+ yarn was baby alpaca and silk. mmmm.
- thing is too big. it's more of a slouch hat.
+ I might be able to give it to my goddaughter.
- no nommy hat for me.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++++ jwing's back!

sorry the hat's too big - but it must have felt wonderful to knit!
jwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeekBoy took the winglets down to California visit his father this weekend. His father has health issues and GeekBoy is trying to visit him more often. Since the kids have seen him ... three ?? ... times in their life, I made GeekBoy bring them down too. Plus he lives in a Japanese-style farm house and I thought they'd like that. They've been there just over twelve hours and both winglets want to come home. It's so far in the hills of Santa Cruz that there's no coverage or connection. They can't talk to me at whim or surf the internet. GeekBoy's father leased part of the land to medicinal marijuana growers and it's harvest time. wing1 has already complained to me about the smell. Neither kid is sleeping well nor are they having a good time. I feel very guilty.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - family visits aren't always about having a good time. it sounds like they may have a fairly short window of time to get to know this grandfather - which is really why you wanted them to go. so they need to focus on that, and not that they are missing doing all the things they always do. (sorry, that may sound harsh). this is, of course, me looking back on opportunities i foolishly missed when i was their age, and it may be useless to try to make them understand that they may feel badly in the future about not getting to know him when they had the chance...but we do all seem to keep trying to do that, don't we?

you were trying to do a good thing - even a necessary thing - and so far, they seem to be missing the point. that's nothing for you to feel guilty about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136  Next
Page 1133 of 1136

Jump to: