Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Dro! good to see you again!

best of luck with entrepreneurship! this is the same company you started a while back? so it's been successful so far, i trust - that's a good sign (that, and that you are still enjoying it). can you still be involved with students, or was that not your thing?

anyway, good luck - and don't be such a stranger!
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Good to hear from some familiar people.

I was drawn to academic research for the promise of freedom to choose to investigate what I want; but in reality I can do that more freely in a company. In a university I have all sorts of constraints--is it an appropriate thesis topic, will it produce a unit of knowledge that is paper-sized, etc? Now we talk about stuff and try it out and can keep doing that as long as there is money to do so from others wanting us to do some of those things for them.

Frankly, I was also increasingly disillusioned by the social structure of academia. Paying lab members a pittance in exchange for training made sense when the training period lasted a few years, but now the ruthless competition has driven that period to be more than a decade (PhD plus postdoc(s)) so it is hard to justify the exploitation.

If you took a big tongue--say, a cow's tongue, and shaped it into the shape of a water glass and then dried it... would that glass be unpleasant to drink out of? Is there some way to keep the tongue moist and keep its structure intact?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
If you took a big tongue--say, a cow's tongue, and shaped it into the shape of a water glass and then dried it... would that glass be unpleasant to drink out of? Is there some way to keep the tongue moist and keep its structure intact?

I have some wealthy friends who would be interested in funding a study on this topic. It's an important and under-investigated area of meatvesselology.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't whatever liquid you were drinking keep the tongue moist?

yeah, i know what you mean about the problems in academia - it's gotten just as money-driven as anything else. and now there are worries that at least some of that funding may be politically driven, or at least made more competitive for political reasons - and that seems to drive funding towards the sure-bet research. if you can do research without worrying about whether you will get a publishable paper out, seems like that would definitely free you up....as long as you have people who can think long-term to fund you.

is there likely to be a big market for cow-tongue drinking vessels? i guess among the locovore, head-to-tail, no waste types..... because certainly no one seems to eat tongue any more.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I managed to get into phase 2 of `exploitation' and am still enjoying it so far. Wish me luck!

I'm worried moistening the tongue will undo the hardening effects of its initial drying phase, causing potential loss-of-shape (LOS). So maybe a structural change during drying is required, and the real question is how to dry partially, with selective maintenance of moistness (SMM) where desired?
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a tough problem. The full effect of a tongue glass would only be felt if the tongue is moist, like a tongue. But that would create problems with holding its shape and long-term preservation. A dry tongue glass would have some conceptual frisson but in the end would be little different from drinking out of a leather cup. Think of the wealth that awaits the solver of this riddle, though!

edit: oh, good luck to you Michael. I truly enjoyed my time in academia.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: two tongues. One you dry in shape, the other you keep moist.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so like a tongue cup lined with tongue? with maybe a barrier between the layers, to keep the moist one from dampening the dry one?

that's a lot of tongue....
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this idea.

Personally would suggest tongue in cheek
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this is like Steves Jobs and Wozniak planning the Apple. I can feel the prickly radiation from this innovation nuclear reactor going on here. Tongue in cheek, awesome. Now I'm thinking we've got the 4th utensil class. That last little bit of rice keep scurrying away from your fork or chopsticks? Just pull out a moist tongue from its cheek pouch, sweep over the plate and collect them on the surface and suck them off. Mmm!
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like a solid plan, yeah. Or a moist plan, but still.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've missed you so much, Dro.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed this community, too. Unfortunately and unhealthily, I've been expending my online energy getting banned from alt-right site after site for politely pointing out, and with detailed citations and links to original data, that 1) the "can this soldier get likes instead of half-naked actresses" person is actually an actress and the photo is from a movie, 2) Feinstein did not say that a gunman will lay down his gun when he sees everyone is unarmed, 3) Clinton did not physically send 20% of US uranium to Russia, 4) Sgt. Hayes did not bare handedly kill two Syrian refugees raping his daughter and now is in prison, 5) the guy with facial tattoos is not actually blaming Trump for the lack of a job, those words were just added to a picture, etc.

I have, in return, often been told that "your stupid" and "your'e stupid" but very rarely sometimes questions the epistemological basis of their world view.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a wild party at 20,000 posts, mouse?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but don't worry. We got party control to remove it and relocate it to the hinterlands where it can thrive in its natural habitat, away from current development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157  Next
Page 1154 of 1157

Jump to: