welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 1132, 1133, 1134  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilpureevil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Get em' go boy go boy wooff wofff Reply with quote

Swiss chicks Twisted Evil yummy yay,
I like grabbin their asssss bwahahaha,
orgies & stuff mmmmyyhhhhaaa,
harass em' yeah and donate me for
Lilpureevil's Orgies Foundation Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
bwahahahhahahaha
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly dro - surely, by now, you have gone to enough conferences to realize the only interesting session is the one in which you will be presenting, which will leave you plenty of time to sightsee.

and you can check out swiss bank accounts, so you will have a place to stash all the loot your invention will be bringing in. so it will be for the _good_ of your family, and you needn't feel bad about leaving them for only a week.

also, if you fly a non-american carrier, i hear they actually feed you good food on the flight. so you should go just for the novelty of that experience.

um, let's see, situations with plusses and minuses...well, i'm about to do wonders for my diet this week, but you all _really_ don't want to know the details.

let's just say, i'd _really_ rather go to switzerland.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus: Seeing my mom for thanksgiving in Texas.

Minus: Driving there. ::Sighs:: I will be sooooooo sick of being in the car.

I know what you mean about mixed bags Dro even when it comes to going somewhere cool to meet people. I suspect I will get nervous around early April. I will make a food of myself no matter what but I hope it is an interesting fool.

ashcraftthepirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
...I will make a food of myself...

MMmmMmmm Tasty!
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a great Freudian slip that I will leave it alone. And I can hope. ::crosses her fingers::
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's another mixed bag. So I started a company to bring plant breeding into the 22nd century, and it is finally ready to launch. Just me, a fresh new business guy, and a trusty technician. I don't care much about business per se, but I like it when something is mine and I don't need to care about prevailing wisdom etc. Now a slightly odd thing is that plants isn't my first choice of areas to work in, but the university didn't want to give over all rights to a start-up and plants is the least competitive.

Well, they wanted me to talk to some other people interested in this stuff for animals and human health. So I did, and I guess they liked me and the technique, so now this other group wants to start doing something in animals/humans. And for various strategic reasons, they have put forth the idea of us merging with them to create a company able to work in any area.

Now I do like that idea, since I thought the initial restrictions to plants was dumb when I had plenty of ideas in other markets. But I'm not sure I like them personally as much as I like my business partner... we were a little team, socking it to the man, but this group is more like the man already. They have access to money, which would get us going faster, but no one gives money without assuming some control. I talked about how the plant company would innovate new technologies using subsistence crops as practice (these are crops that much of the world depends on, but they are not keeping pace with climate change... and there is no 'market') and they looked at me like I was insane. Would I lose that, things I could be proud of? On the other hand, I am assuming quite a bit of risk trying to go it alone. If it fails, I'll have put in money that should be going to retirement, kid's college, that sort of thing. Is it fair to take that risk for control (i.e. my ego) when others could ease that risk and probably turn it into reward right away (they would probably be able to pay me)?

So hard to know. To compound it, I had a long relationship with a medical student. When she went to be a resident, it changed her. The doctors with money, the pharmaceutical companies with gifts, she was immersed in that environment and she absorbed it. I broke up with her because I couldn't love her anymore. Where the hell is this going! Oh, so I have this fear that if I do surround myself with people like this other group, my values will erode to the point where I'll be laughing at some poor idiot proclaiming a little side work helping the world's poorest farmers would be good for us all. We all think of ourselves as strong and grounded, but I know that isn't true.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Desire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dro: "Live what you believe for you will believe what you live."

Chose what feels best for you and your family in the long-run.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, congratulations on starting a company, dro! but yeah - investors. and it's easy for me to say "stick with what you want to do and don't let those corporate types in" - but as you say, you have significant things at risk. the other fear is, if they have business experience, and the money, they _can_ end up manipulating you (even if you try to stand up for what you want) and leaving you as a side-note in the whole thing.

i've worked for two small business that were started by one or a few people, i'm trying to think how things worked for them. both are environmental consulting companies, and started on funding for a specific project; they were then able to grow from that start. one is still independent (in fact, he has acquired a couple of other small companies); the other recently sold out to a larger firm (after being a stand-alone for nearly 30 years) (the larger firm is employee-owned, so the employees did ok with the buyout).

it does all seem to come down to money. if you need it, you may have to go with these guys. if you can survive a while, at least, on your own, you can at least negotiate from more of a position of power. i know it must also be irritating to pass up working in areas other than plants - but you should be able to move into those areas yourself, later.

the other concern is that you don't seem to be comfortable with these new people. i don't think it wise to go into business with people you don't trust - too much of business depends on trust.

whichever way it goes, i hope you can hold on to your ideals - i think it is possible, especially as you are going into this a more mature and experienced person than your girlfriend was, when she started in medicine. if you like, i'll try to keep you honest (i.e., if you show up in san diego in a private plane and cruise around in a porsche suv, laughing at idealistic "little people", i will pelt you with small wads of paper. and possibly used gum.)

good luck -
Mini J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mouse, for what it is worth. Be very careful dealing with money men, as they do NOT have your best interests at heart. There has been more than one business owner who has 'merged' with a larger business and then had the business pulled out from under them, with them given the option of taking the money and running, or being cut out and getting nothing. Just be very very very careful, especially if you already are not that comfortable with them.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
if you like, i'll try to keep you honest (i.e., if you show up in san diego in a private plane and cruise around in a porsche suv, laughing at idealistic "little people", i will pelt you with small wads of paper. and possibly used gum.)

Dro: *ding dong*
mouse: Dro! Hi, welcome!
Dro: How's it going, babe? Listen, can I borrow a spatula or something? I was backing up my Lexus Dominator and rolled over a mini-coop. It's stuck to my wheel like a piece of gum and I should pry it off.
mouse: !!
Dro: *teedle teedle* Oh hey, lemme get this. *presses button by ear* Jack! We need you here for the meeting. Just toss the flowers on the grave, say mazeltov or whatever and get over here. We'll send a car and a clown for the kids... see, we care!
Dro: *to mouse* spatula? Spaaaa-tuuuu-laaa? No speaky English?

OK, thanks for the thoughts. Always good to get some perspectives. One thing I have going for me in a situation like this is that I can always walk away if I don't like it. I'm perfectly happy as I am, and I don't feel the need to make a fortune. They know that they'll need me to keep it going, at least for the first few years, whereas I don't really need them. That could help.
Halen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, ignore these losers. Go with whatever gets you the biggest paycheque in the shortest possible time! WOOHOOOO!
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro, you're the smartest and most honest emu I know. I don't believe you can be bought, and I have faith that you'll know what's best.
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed bag:

I've been invited to a big party thing, by 4 girls I know. It's the "dancing/crappy music/drunk people" type thing. I don't dance, I don't like the music and I don't drink (Too much. _). I do, however, like hanging out with these girls. I don't really have anything planned this vacation, so it might be a good change.

So, do I go or not?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Mixed bag:

I've been invited to a big party thing, by 4 girls I know. It's the "dancing/crappy music/drunk people" type thing. I don't dance, I don't like the music and I don't drink (Too much. _). I do, however, like hanging out with these girls. I don't really have anything planned this vacation, so it might be a good change.

So, do I go or not?

Go. You don't have to dance, you can just talk to people and sit or walk around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 1132, 1133, 1134  Next
Page 3 of 1134

Jump to: