welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1076, 1077, 1078 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dogen. Dress to impress (Just wanted to say that...) Pick somewhere you are comfortable. Maybe a little cafe or coffee shop.

If you told us about the job, we might be able to help more Smile
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll try my nice but casual look.

It's sort of a bank robbing job, cause if I get this job I'll be robbing a bank of....my talent. Razz I work in IT in a bank right now, this would be also an programming job but much more dynamic and a better pay (of course).

I am supposed to call the guy in an about hour, to arrange the exect time and place. Hopefully it wont get postponed, cause that would just further prolong my nervousness. Smile

Thanks for the votes of confidence, I needed that.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they ask what your biggest weakness is, name a real weakness, and also describe how you successfully overcome it, demonstrating your ability to learn and adapt.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went well.

Much more casual than I expected. It felt like a regular conversation more than a formal interview. I asked questions, I listened. I think I left as good as impression as I could without faking things. As I hear there are 5 postions and about 7-8 candidates, so my chances are good.*

At the I was asked about the salary I expect. Now, I might have given a slightly higher figure than I really expect, but I emphasized it would be an IDEAL figure, and that my main motivation for wanting to move to the company is the working environment and no pay. Which is true, hopefully leaving a hint that I a bit flexible on the salary.

Called a former colleague who works there to thank him, cause when they were looking for more people he reminded them that they already had me on an interview before and that they should give me a call.

Thanks guys for the tips again, I am not really good with situations like this. And I needed a sounding board for my anxiety.

*though if I don't get the job it could mean I really suck.Razz I must come up a motivational story to tell myself if that happens.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

My plan:
1. Go out to dinner for my friend's birthday
2. Improv comedy
3. Hit the bars
4. Be at work, at least sober, by 8am*

Stupid work.

* some people call these the most productive hours of the day. I call them the hours I usually only see from the other side - when I'm going to bed.
jwing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're starting a new section of work. I was told to write the manual two weeks ago. I didn't get to see what exactly we had to do until the day after I was given the assignment. The QAs spent a week doing this section, trying to figure out what was expected.
+ I got to meet with one of the head developers personally and ask him questions.
- the QAs had more questions but couldn't be arsed to send them to me for me to ask.
This past Wednesday, our manager arranged for the head developer and the BigBoss to phone in for the first fifteen minutes of the QA team to give us feedback on our work.
+ BigBoss (who really is The Guy on this project; his word is law) physically came to our meeting and answered our questions for half an hour Both manager and I were gobsmacked and quite pleased.
BigBoss said we shouldn't go ahead on this project until better tools were created.
- that evening, the guy in charge of writing our tools released over a hundred of these files into the queue without warning.
I had already scheduled a meeting to teach the team how to do this project for Thursday morning. My night Lead and I spent our time between the QA meeting and the morning meeting running from office to office teaching each worker how to do the project.
+ we are Team SuperUltraAwesome and can handle this.
Still no word as to why the files were released. Even our bigboss (manager's manager) asked the tool guy why he did it.
+ things are definitely improving. Six months ago, we'd've been given the new section with no warning, no working tool, and no answers to our frantic emails for several days. As for meeting with The Guy or bigbosses? Utterly unheard of.
Mini J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Learned what 18 kg of coke (protip: not the soda) looks like.
- and smells like.
+ Helpful for career!
---- Oh Em Gee the paperwork!
Him

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
- and smells like.
+ Helpful for career!

Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
- and smells like.
+ Helpful for career!

And from now on your mind will associate coke with paperwork.
Maybe other way around would be better associate paperwork with coke, then you would get high from filling forms.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nono, stick with the first one - you may have the basis for a very successful anti-drug intervention! i mean, seriously, who would take up coke if it made them think of paperwork?
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermes
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great gorrilla of Manilla, you're right!
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I intended to do: Study! Because I have a test on cardiac physiology tonight!

What I did: edited a couple wikipedia articles... at least they were cardiac articles, right? I may bomb my test but at least I'm adding to the freely available hippiefication of knowledge on the interwebs.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you in cardiac stuff now?

please pm me if so

just say "hi Michael. Cardiac stuff"
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea. You two could have a heart-to-heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1076, 1077, 1078 ... 1135, 1136, 1137  Next
Page 1077 of 1137

Jump to: