welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Disney's Frozen is apparantly about Hans Andersen's Snow Queen. But the plot summary of that movie seems different from the fairy tale so I'm confused. It annoys me too because Snow Queen is an amazing fairytale that breaks traditional fairytale traditions with a sister who has to save her brother and a bandit daughter who helps her out.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
does your son know his dad is critiquing his vocaloid fanfiction

because i mean that would make some awkward conversation at the dinner table

Nah, I'm not critiquing, I was referencing what HR posted, not my son's future work. I was saying his story will likely have elements inspired from the stuff I mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
After several months of not being able to run water, we may or may not have a working sewer now!

(+) It was fully functional for over two weeks before it broke again!

(-) it's currently showing heavy inclinations towards not working properly
Mini J

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my credit score report today:
+ Everything is R1 (or I1 or O1)
++ No evidence on there that my identity has ever been stolen!
- They have me listed as "unemployed" (and my "prior employment" as a retail job I had 11 years ago...)
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Met someone last night at a show
+She and I really hit it off, like the same music and even danced together(with others, in kind of a train...thing)
-I also met her boyfriend
+Her boyfriend is a great musician, and he and I played a few songs together

Overall positive, but it's hard not to feel a little disappointed since it's been a while since someone new actually sparked my interest.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you bigger than him?

Just saying . . . .
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out our program managers consider me to be in charge of my team. Not officially, unfortunately, but part of that may relate to the fact that all of us presently have job titles unrelated to our actual jobs. This business unit tends to do things like that, though - for example, there was my secret promotion a few months back, which gave me a big raise and changed my "official" (but never used aside from my paystub) title, but which I was forbidden from telling anyone about.

Why is this not in the pleasures thread, but with a minor caveat? Well, it means that I'm responsible for a woman we'll call S, who doesn't always take the course of action management appreciates. S also has seniority over me, and I don't have the official backing to *actually* be in charge of her. And apparently they've been considering me to be in charge for awhile. And I only found out about this because I had an unhappy program manager sitting at my desk complaining about her work, how I'm responsible for her work, and using a lot of terms like "illegal" and "fradulent."

Real mixed emotions about the whole thing, is what I'm saying.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least you got the raise to go with the promotion. They just altered our job description to include the work.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
I just found out our program managers consider me to be in charge of my team. Not officially, unfortunately, but part of that may relate to the fact that all of us presently have job titles unrelated to our actual jobs. This business unit tends to do things like that, though - for example, there was my secret promotion a few months back, which gave me a big raise and changed my "official" (but never used aside from my paystub) title, but which I was forbidden from telling anyone about.

Why is this not in the pleasures thread, but with a minor caveat? Well, it means that I'm responsible for a woman we'll call S, who doesn't always take the course of action management appreciates. S also has seniority over me, and I don't have the official backing to *actually* be in charge of her. And apparently they've been considering me to be in charge for awhile. And I only found out about this because I had an unhappy program manager sitting at my desk complaining about her work, how I'm responsible for her work, and using a lot of terms like "illegal" and "fradulent."

Tell them to give you official authority to fix these things or fuck off, because it looks to you like they're trying to give you the shaft and get rid of you without proper compensation. Also, keep this shit documented.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
Got my credit score report today:
+ Everything is R1 (or I1 or O1)
++ No evidence on there that my identity has ever been stolen!
- They have me listed as "unemployed" (and my "prior employment" as a retail job I had 11 years ago...)

Yeah this has screwed me over. Ran my credit report a month or so ago, it says that over the last nine or so years I was self employed for 7 of them, which I never was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
CTrees wrote:

Tell them to give you official authority to fix these things or fuck off, because it looks to you like they're trying to give you the shaft and get rid of you without proper compensation. Also, keep this shit documented.

ditto that. it does no one any good to give you authority without backing you up. they might not be trying to get rid of you, they might just be incompetent idiots; either way, you should protect yourself from them.

it also sounds like none of the people you are supposed to be in charge of are actually aware that you are officially in charge of them, which also does not help matters. i think someone needs to publicize what everyone's secret title is. (not you, necessarily - just someone. i mean, jeez, this S person might have the title "Follower of Alternate Action Courses", so she's just doing her job but the manager doesn't know it because it's her _secret_ title.)
TIAB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no clear signs of MRSA any more, but still a fair amount of scar tissue. She suspects that she might have C. Diff now, but she's been taking probiotics the entire time and is still taking them which is probably helping if that is the case. Not much else to say on that, but we did apply for aid and are waiting for the determination on how much we will receive.

Also, I'm still employed as a temp, but all week I've been watching several people come in to be interviewed for the position I am currently filling. My boss is unable to tell me if I will even be interviewed because HR is making the call on who gets the interviews and they don't let him know names until the last minute. So on the one hand, I don't get any information about if/when I may be interviewed, but I at least get the information as to why I'm in the dark and that they are moving along in the process, as opposed to being completely in the dark.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running for student government.
It feels like high school all over again.
Except in high school we didn't have a $1 million budget.
Luckily, I'm just running for a position that represents students in the development of the curriculum (basically a lobbyist for students with the professors who decide how the program runs). No one should give me budget money.
I'm ambivalent enough that if I win I will feel useful and if I don't it will be a relief.

I want to make posters with pictures of me giving a thumbs up, written in sharpie, covered in glitter.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I'm running for student government.
It feels like high school all over again.
Except in high school we didn't have a $1 million budget.
Luckily, I'm just running for a position that represents students in the development of the curriculum (basically a lobbyist for students with the professors who decide how the program runs). No one should give me budget money.
I'm ambivalent enough that if I win I will feel useful and if I don't it will be a relief.

I want to make posters with pictures of me giving a thumbs up, written in sharpie, covered in glitter.

Good luck. Smile

My mixed bag of the day...
Someone has a crush on me and I've come to realize I very much feel the same way. It's been some very intense and wonderful past two weeks talking pretty much daily.

Two problems:
They live very far away, not impossible to go to far away, but still a number of hours far away.

...and they are already in a relationship.
We really didn't think this through. Maybe we can keep it at some kind of harmless internet-crush level.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++ I'm back into writing and loving it.
- I'm torn between continuing my original fiction (which I like to call lunch break fantasy because they have short chapters which I write in my own lunch break) and starting a fanfiction because I have become obsessed with a fandom recently.
+- I know I'm doing it for fun, but original fiction kind of feels more mine... if that makes sense.
- I can't do both because my brain won't let me do that.
-- I kind of want to draw pictures for it too (not a comic but just loose panels to describe certain important moments) but I can't draw during my lunch break. I need to push myself to do it at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1116 of 1133

Jump to: