welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1119, 1120, 1121 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so data-driven that I can't even send a professor a follow-up question via email without including three citations, which means I spent half an hour writing a short email.

But I kind of like that about me (the need to support claims with evidence, not the inability to write emails quickly).
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh - i'm like that, except in my case it's because i keep re-editing it so i say everything JUST RIGHT....which is critical in a quick email.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, you don't want to be too hasty.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
heh - i'm like that, except in my case it's because i keep re-editing it so i say everything JUST RIGHT....which is critical in a quick email.

I did this the other day. Then I freaked out that it was something so simple I should know it. Then the social paranoia crept in. Followed by me rechecking the data. Finally I got it down to a sentence, figured it was too short and scrapped the whole email.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write rough drafts for post-it notes, but most of the time I can't recall sources enough to cite them.

Over half my tweets are cited, though. Basically I've turned my twitter feed into "Experience the internet with Stripeypants." But now it's turning into, "Experience the world with Stripeypants," because I've begun citing books and magazines as well - especially New Scientist because the magazine is expensive so I think most people don't get it, but there are some amazing things in there that I think everyone should learn about.

Is my signature showing up as the Greyhound logo for anyone else? It's creepy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often only vaguely recall a source, which is why emails take me so long to write. I think, "Oh, there was a study about how if you showed people lines and one of them was obviously longer, but you had three compatriots say the shorter one was longer you could get an unknowing participant to agree... who did that study? *google, google*" So by the time I cite three sources I've spent 20 minutes to an hour looking up studies I vaguely recall.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rewrite things eight million times based on questions like "Does this sound rude?" and "Could this be accidentally read as sarcastic?" and "Does that make grammatical sense or am I just talking like I speak again." until the message only vaguely resembles what I had initially written, then I end it with "Does this actually need to be said?" and it usually gets erased because no, it really doesn't add much to the conversation, does it?

You'd think I'd start with the last more, but then what would I do with my time?

If something actually does manage to make it past the last question I inevitably find a typo in it after I can't take it back and then I just try not to shriek too loudly about it.

(I also do the thing where I jump into conversations sideways and end up talking about something only vaguely related to what is actually being said. Case in point: you guys are totally talking about citing sources and data and I'm just like "I DO THE THING, THIS IS THE THING I DO.") Oh god this post normally wouldn't make it past the "Does this actually need to be said" question but I'm posting it anyway, so you all get a glimpse of what I normally try to spare you from.)
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sams, FWIW, I think you totally added to the conversation.

EDIT: I got a funky error when I posted this, related to adding words to the search function. Based on the "words" added, I think the search index must have gotten blown away with the recent crash.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:

EDIT: I got a funky error when I posted this, related to adding words to the search function. Based on the "words" added, I think the search index must have gotten blown away with the recent crash.

Indeed! Everyone's getting that error.

There are about four threads now talking about how the keyword search is broken and squeaking at us

it's the only problem that's giving a nice (albeit overly-loud and annoying) error message to users, but also probably the least important problem that the forum is having right now with regards to functionality
Mini J

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I often only vaguely recall a source, which is why emails take me so long to write. I think, "Oh, there was a study about how if you showed people lines and one of them was obviously longer, but you had three compatriots say the shorter one was longer you could get an unknowing participant to agree... who did that study? *google, google*" So by the time I cite three sources I've spent 20 minutes to an hour looking up studies I vaguely recall.

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better about the way you post. My mind always boggles at how seemingly-effortlessly you bring up all these citations in your forum posts, and I assumed you just had an astonishingly good memory for research. It's nice to see that it's like me, with "I swear I learned about an experiment like that..."

ps. I see a lot of psychologist profs and academics at work, and it often reminds me of you (Dogen) when I ask them about their research.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, no, I have my stable of easily referenced sources, and everything else I google. Source memory (where and when you learned a thing) is one of the easiest types of memory to forget, so if you meet someone who claims to remember all that shit they're either incredibly brilliant or lying to you. Thanks, though... I often put a lot of time into what I post and I'm glad someone notices how meticulously I cite!

Why do you meet professors at work? I thought you were a po-po?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Haha, no, I have my stable of easily referenced sources, and everything else I google. Source memory (where and when you learned a thing) is one of the easiest types of memory to forget, so if you meet someone who claims to remember all that shit they're either incredibly brilliant or lying to you.

Or just have QI as their only source.

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ My swollen lymph nodes are nothing to worry about. He thinks just a reaction to working out.
- My dad's going into surgery Thursday to scrape out what they can of the cancer and then starts chemo.
+ He being quite positive about it, more so than most people.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubby has another interview today. I hope I go home on lunch break here in a few minutes and can come back and post in the pleasures thread that he got it.

I should note that he cut off his hair for this interview. It shouldn't make a difference whether or not he has long hair, but unfortunately it does matter to some people. So his hair that he hadn't cut off since we got married in 2008 is gone. He went way short too.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patients I've had recently have been really interesting (I hesitate to use the word "fun" even though I enjoy it): a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head/face, a guy with multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen inflicted by someone else, and a guy who broke 12 bones (including both arms, several vertebrae, a femur, his jaw, and part of his skull) in a car accident.

Tomorrow I have a guy with a lacerated scrotum. With orders to apply lidocaine jelly four times per day. To his scrotum. Which he lacerated.

I'm thinking my first order of business will be to teach him how to apply jelly to his own scrotum. Because I'm really an educator at heart, see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1119, 1120, 1121 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1120 of 1133

Jump to: