welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1122, 1123, 1124 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up today and the sun was already down.

holy 17 hours of sleep, batman!

and apparently the people I live with can't hear what the werewolves on their television are saying unless they're saying it at 80-90 decibels

{pointless grumbling about popcorn}

in summary, sleeping too long makes me grumpy

On a more positive note, this exists

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Went to ski resort for the weekend with school colleagues
+ Hiked, danced, drank, good times
+ At the dance party on the final night I was talking to a really interesting woman...
- When someone came over and said one of the people in my cabin was drunk off her ass and making out with random dudes and falling over, then left, and no one knew where she was...
+ She was just outside...
- ... the shuttle driver wouldn't let her on the shuttle back to the cabin because she said she felt sick...
- ... so I walked her a mile to our cabin in 27-degree weather, half carrying her because she couldn't stand on her own.
- She threw up all over both of us.
- Got back to the cabin and had to kick a bunch of random men (dental students...) out so the women I was sharing the cabin with could take the drunkard to bed and undress her (she demanded someone remove her pants)
- They all spent the rest of the night complaining about not getting laid while I brought them water and ibuprofen for the drunk(est) one.

This is why I don't hang out with 20-somethings. You know what the 30-somethings did? We all stopped drinking after two or three drinks and, with the exception of me, were in bed by 1am, had no hangovers, and did not throw up on anyone.

And these are highly intelligent, multiple-degree-having people. Frontal lobe myelination. Gotta be the frontal lobe myelination.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I suppose the 17-hours-of-sleep thing would have been worse if I had a hangover, but there's really no way for me to test that, since alcohol generally makes me sleep a shorter amount of time, and I have no desire to get drunk enough to try for a hangover anyway.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ car is functional for the first time in years
+ I'm not paying for it
+ I will be moving out of this house and moving on with my life because...
+/- I'm planning on filing the divorce papers soon and there's a lot of potential negatives associate with that process, but I think it will be largely positive
- I've had to be a bit guarded lately because she isn't going to respond well to that last point and I don't want to have to deal with more friction than is necessary and despite calling ourselves separated she doesn't see this coming(?? Seriously?)
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Trevor, that is honestly all great. Well, minus the part where you'll actually have to deal with her. But that's the least important part.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revision: car is mechanically functional, but the battery is toast. I will need to replace it using money I don't have... yay.
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Polar Vortex part deux -22F with wind chill and said to get down to -30F. Sad
+/-My school is cancelled again for tomorrow. It's getting to the point with these cold weather cancellations where I have material to get through with the kids at work and I'm kind of done with staying home.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high school here closed for one day a few years ago when its furnaces failed, but generally all the schools/universities stay open for everything between -50F and 80F. In theory they'd stay open for temperatures higher than that, too, but I'm not sure that's ever happened.

Subzero temperatures, so what do I do? I walk to the supermarket and buy an ice cream cone, then wander around in the dark outside eating it. Brilliant!
Don't even have to worry about it melting!
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Changed my fiction chapters from first POV to third-ish POV which makes it easier to write
- Turning all 'I'-s into 'she'-s really makes it obvious that I have a shitload of she-s. @.@ Editing ahoy!
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work keeps telling out-of-towners it's okay if they don't come in, but everyone else still has to. I think there would be less of a massive outrage, but ALL the schools are canceling (as well as the college) and the air force base keeps closing down and yet... we stay open. It's not like the college and the air force base are notorious for closing down easily, either, quite the opposite.

Pretty sure someone is plotting a revolt at this point. Moral is low. There aren't enough potlucks in the world to make people happier with this situation.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god literally MINUTES after posting this someone started suggesting another potluck and we just had one last week.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried to propose a curriculum change to a major university? I don't recommend it. They're receptive... and we've got a ridiculous amount of data (naturally)... but it takes FOREVER.

You present at the curriculum committee for five minutes. They invite you to come present to a larger group at their faculty forum... in three months.

Meanwhile, people are being taught to use "no-suicide contracts" (which have been shown not to work over and over and over)... the faculty aren't mental health people, which is why we, the mental health people, are proposing they change to get in line with best practice. I just don't handle bureaucracy well. It makes me want to choke someone out.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who brings funding is king.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just discovered girl genius...and its 12 year archive.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Foglios. I've been a fan for years and even met them when I was still in high school. Phil did illustrations for a fantasy series called Myth Adventures way back, which is how I caught onto him. He's done at least three other comic series, including an adaptation of the first Myth Adventures novel, a seriously fun and twisted SciFi series called Buck Godot: Zapgun for Hire and an adult fantasy series as well. I'm curious if Buck Godot has an online archive...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1122, 1123, 1124 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1123 of 1133

Jump to: