welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

billeder fra ?o
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6634

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
YOU PEOPLE ARE STILL DISCUSSING THE FUCKING RHYME!

STOP!

...

Did no one else notice the reference to Aqua-Fresh being the White Devil when... Aqua-Fresh isn't white, but rather RED, WHITE, AND BLUE !!!one!!z0mg!!!eleven!!


So I first read that as "Aqua-Fish" which put me in mind of Aquaman, which made me giggle.

Otherwise this thread has been kind of boring. =\
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twister87
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
The short vowel 'a' used in plaque is the same one used in black. Therefore by your argument, black sould be pronounced blark and would therefore *still* rhyme with plarque. Try not to fuck with tat's intentions here: plaque is supposed to be read as black becuase it fits with whitey and white devil.

Very Happy Razz Cool

No, shut up, you're wrong, if you go to England where ENGLISH COMES FROM they will say plaque with a long 'a' so SHUT UP AMERICANISMS ARE WRONG. Plus, I'm not trying to fuck with anyone's intentions. I fully understand how plaque is pronounced in America and that's how it was meant to be read, I WAS MAKING A FKING JOKE, PLEASE TAKE ME MORE SERIOUSLY.

Edit: Sorry sojo, I'm just really getting tired of this wanker. No more discussion on the pronounciation from me.
Back to top
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2466

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: "Never apologize, son. It's a sign of weakness." Reply with quote

Twister87 wrote:
Edit: Sorry sojo, I'm just really getting tired of this wanker. No more discussion on the pronounciation from me.

Wha?

Did... I mean... You didn't take me seriously, did you?

You should discuss whatever you feel like discussing. I certainly have no kind of authority to tell you otherwise.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twister87
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe yeah no probs, I just don't want to appear as annoying or as a fucktard as the wonderful Mellow does right now.
Back to top
donut3point5



Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 940
Location: The Bakery of Blood Gulch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twister87 wrote:
Hehe yeah no probs, I just don't want to appear as annoying or as a fucktard as the wonderful Mellow does right now.

Iunno if I accidentally scored myself a coupla hundred retard points by not noticing this before, but Mellow's name is kinda ironic...
Usually mellow and fucktard doesn't mix in the same description XD
--donut3.5--
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Van



Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the design of this comic. Monique looks adorable in her pjs...but who listens to music while brushing their teeth, w/ headphones, even... Hahaha. Adorable anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davrieb



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 127
Location: doesn't matter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van wrote:
I love the design of this comic. Monique looks adorable in her pjs...but who listens to music while brushing their teeth, w/ headphones, even...


I do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
timmccloud



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 633
Location: Marshall, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twister87 wrote:
No, shut up, you're wrong, if you go to England where ENGLISH COMES FROM they will say plaque with a long 'a' so SHUT UP AMERICANISMS ARE WRONG.


And people from London with cockney accents are also English, and speak English, and live in England, so their pronunciation is always correct right? Otherwise your pronunciation argument falls flat on it's ass. Sorry, try again.

Also, get your etymology right, Plaque is originally French, Dutch and German, not English. So we should ask how they pronounce it, not the English. Sorry, try again.

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary wrote:
Main Entry: plaque
Pronunciation: 'plak
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, metal sheet, from plaquer to plate, from Middle Dutch placken to piece, patch; akin to Middle Dutch placke piece, Middle High German placke patch
1 a : an ornamental brooch; especially : the badge of an honorary order b : a flat thin piece (as of metal) used for decoration c : a commemorative or identifying inscribed tablet
2 a : a localized abnormal patch on a body part or surface b : a sticky usually colorless film on teeth that is formed by and harbors bacteria c : an atherosclerotic lesion d : a histopathologic lesion of brain tissue that is characteristic of Alzheimer's disease and consists of a dense proteinaceous core composed primarily of beta-amyloid that is often surrounded and infiltrated by a cluster of degenerating axons and dendrites
3 : a clear area in a bacterial culture produced by viral destruction of cells


Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary wrote:
Main Entry: black
Pronunciation: 'blak
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English blak, from Old English blęc; akin to Old High German blah black, and probably to Latin flagrare to burn, Greek phlegein
1 a : of the color black b (1) : very dark in color <his> (2) : having a very deep or low register <a> (3) : HEAVY, SERIOUS <the>
2 a : having dark skin, hair, and eyes : SWARTHY <the> b (1) often capitalized : of or relating to any of various population groups having dark pigmentation of the skin <black> (2) : of or relating to the Afro-American people or their culture <black> <a> <black> <black> (3) : typical or representative of the most readily attended parts of black culture <tried>
3 : dressed in black
4 : DIRTY, SOILED <hands>
5 a : characterized by the absence of light <a> b : reflecting or transmitting little or no light <black> c : served without milk or cream <black>
6 a : thoroughly sinister or evil : WICKED <a> b : indicative of condemnation or discredit <got>
7 : connected with or invoking the supernatural and especially the devil <black>
8 a : very sad, gloomy, or calamitous <black> b : marked by the occurrence of disaster <black>
9 : characterized by hostility or angry discontent : SULLEN <black>
10 chiefly British : subject to boycott by trade-union members as employing or favoring nonunion workers or as operating under conditions considered unfair by the trade union
11 a of propaganda : conducted so as to appear to originate within an enemy country and designed to weaken enemy morale b : characterized by or connected with the use of black propaganda <black>
12 : characterized by grim, distorted, or grotesque satire <black>
13 : of or relating to covert intelligence operations <black>
- black·ish /'bla-kish/ adjective
- black·ly adverb
- black·ness noun


So I will not "SHUT UP AMERICANISMS ARE WRONG", regardless of whether you have decided that you were joking, or that you have decided not to pursue the argument.

I lived in Australia for a decade, and heard lots of Australian mis-pronunciations as well from the "mother tongue". Your country publishes it's own dictionary (the Macquarie dictionary) in order to have your regional pronunciation of the English language considered "correct", just like we do in the US, and like every other English speaking country does. If you register and pay your 12.95 AUD you will find that plaque and black rhyme in your own country.

I will not take "SHUT UP AMERICANISMS ARE WRONG" lying down. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you post them like this in a public forum, be prepared for a rebuttal. We are not WRONG because we are American, just like your country is not wrong in it's cultural heritage.

If you are worried about your Australian Culture being subsumed by Americanisms and our Culture - convince the millions of Aussies to stop consuming it with the veracity that occurs every day in Oz. This seems to be the root cause every time someone in Oz would come out with a similar argument to "SHUT UP AMERICANISMS ARE WRONG" that I have ever been involved in.

My countries political process is in shambles, we have the worst president in office in almost 100 years, our foreign policy sucks, we are losing our civil liberties left and right, we are in 53rd place internationally for a free press, and have all sorts of problems right now. These things happen.

But I am proud of my country nonetheless, just like I expect you are of yours, and I do not take my culture being attacked without defense.
_________________
Wow. Tatsuya is god. Or the dragon...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2466

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:
But I am proud of my country nonetheless, just like I expect you are of yours, and I do not take my culture being attacked without defense.

Total aside, of course, and not meant to be snarky in any sense: What does it mean to be proud of one's country?
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twister87
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't mean any offence, I just wanted to get Mellow to STFU and was having a random outburst. However, since you, tim, seem intent on attacking my "argument" I'm gonna throw some your way.

First of all, just because you use an American dictionary to give definitions and pronounciation doesn't make IT absolutely right either.
timmcloud wrote:
And people from London with cockney accents are also English, and speak English, and live in England, so their pronunciation is always correct right?

That's entirely beside the point. They'd still pronounce plaque properly. Accent has nothing to do with this.
Quote:
So we should ask how they pronounce it, not the English.

Ah, but it isn't a german, dutch or french word is it? It's an english word, regardless of where it originated.
Quote:
If you register and pay your 12.95 AUD you will find that plaque and black rhyme in your own country.

Huh?
Quote:
If you are worried about your Australian Culture being subsumed by Americanisms and our Culture - convince the millions of Aussies to stop consuming it with the veracity that occurs every day in Oz.

I'm not worried about it, because I already know it's happening and there's not a hell of a lot I can do about it. It's globalisation; brave new world we live in.

I'm telling you now, my comments were 90% in jest. There's really no need to attack my "argument" when I didn't even have one in the first place, which means it kinda diverts itself onto me and my country as a person. I'm fairly patriotic, I love my country's sporting teams and have a big time when they do well, but I couldn't give a crap about Australia's image. It's a great place to live. Simple as that.

Twister87 wrote:
PLEASE TAKE ME MORE SERIOUSLY


However, since we were all so hurt by my comments, I apologise for what I said, please proceed to speak the english language in any way you see fit.


Last edited by Twister87 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique is an american character, most likely

So she'd use amurrican pronounciation

So in the context of this comic plaque and black
would rhyme.

This debate is beyond pointless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Twister87
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group