Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News of the Oh my god you've got to be fucking kidding me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agamemnon wrote:
Trying to understand The President and His thoughts and motivations is beyond our puny human comprehensions.
Fhqwhgads

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*snerk* Very Happy Feit FTW.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trying to understand The President and His thoughts and motivations is below our puny human comprehensions.

Rosie Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agamemnon wrote:
Try to explain the concept of low and high air pressure in a lifting form (airfoil) to someone from around 10,000 BC, and I bet you can come off as a god.

Explain it to me, and I'd give up atheism.

Actually, don't please.
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone please explain to me how to drive a manual transmission 1996 mistubishi eclipse rs with power nothing? do that and i will call you..umm..cool?
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsycoMonkey wrote:
can someone please explain to me how to drive a manual transmission 1996 mistubishi eclipse rs with power nothing? do that and i will call you..umm..cool?

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

several people wrote:
... omnipotence this, omnipotence that...

Would anyone mind enlightening me as to why this question arises at all? Why would anyone bother considering God Omnipotent instead of "just" Really Fucking Powerful? All it seems to do is mire everyone down in semantics.
DarkSouled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omnipotent or not i won't believe anyway.

atheits do it better.
Sheseala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: basis of gnostic thought Reply with quote

Just read the Garden of Eden story and you find that God (multiple aparently) was afraid of something.

He kicked them out of Eden after they got knowledge to prevent them from getting eternal life, which would make man like gods.

So god=man+knowledge+eternal life

Wacky powers aren't really needed I guess.
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would all make sense...and it does..because man was made in God's image...but ya know...yea..i dont know what im talking about
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhqwhgads wrote:
And the classical response...
C.S. Lewis wrote:
His Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.

what a boring excuse!
of course he can he's omnipotent. which means you answer any question of "can he do" with yes. Can an omnipotent being defy logic? yes, otherwise he wouldn't be omnipotent now would he Rolling Eyes

theology is so much more fun that logic
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an excuse. Lewis is not saying God is not omnipotent - he's saying that any question involving the doing of something logically impossible is insensible, and the answer cannot make sense either way, because the question is broken.
bun bun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhqwhgads wrote:
And the classical response...
C.S. Lewis wrote:
His Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.

This is exactly the response I was looking for.

*platonic smooches*
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
It's not an excuse. Lewis is not saying God is not omnipotent - he's saying that any question involving the doing of something logically impossible is insensible, and the answer cannot make sense either way, because the question is broken.

I know I know, and it's a good answer because it defuses the whole thing, but is it fun?

And then again,
if you're going to be omnipotent you have to be more powerful than everything else so an omnipotent being can't be bound by logic, reasoning or common sense. That'd A. imply the existence of something more powerful than our all-powerful being. and B. introduce a new class of thing (illogical things) that can't be accomplished by an omnipotent being

Doing stuff that doesn't make sense is what being a god is all about. What kind of god would you be if you could only do stuff that could reasonably be accomplished? Just a man with eternal life. Booo-ring
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can eat your own head..you are a god

none of you are gods..so who are we to question what a god can do?

oh..and a god would also survive eating their own head and still have a head even after eating it

therefor i win and lets all go eat pastries in a river
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: