welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grr... Okay, damnit, I need tech help (issue now resolved)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Grr... Okay, damnit, I need tech help (issue now resolved) Reply with quote

EDIT: All problems appear to be resolved.

I hate to admit it. Because this should be easy. But I'm at a loss. For some reason.

I *just* got a new portable media player. SanDisk Sansa e260. Brilliant little device; I love the features and such, and after the rebate goes through, it'll be twenty or so dollars cheaper than even newegg would have it. Only, there's just one feature I can't get to work yet; transfering music to it.

It's came with this media conversion software. In order to transfer to it, files need to be in quicktime .MOV format. The software claims to accept AVI, MPEG-1, 2, and 4, DVD, and WMV. I use Winamp, normally, as the media player on my computer, and have it set as the default for everything appropriate.

What step am I missing in being able to transfer things over? Even just inserting CDs and trying to copy from them doesn't seem to work. I feel like a complete idiot for not being able to figure this out. Can anyone help, please?

Last edited by CTrees on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your computer doesn't even recognize it so you can drag and drop files?
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my computer recognizes it. It *doesn't* allow files to be dragged and dropped directly (at least not files of the wrong format), though the converter it came with to handle transfers is supposed to allow files to be dragged and dropped into it, and then handles conversion and transfering over. The problem is that everything I've tried has gotten me stuck with an "unsupported file type" error.

EDIT: Actually, that's false, now. Movies I try to drop into the converter work fine. It's just music I can't get across. And I'm failing to find what the difference is.
Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cannot drag and drop the files into the media converter?

i assume the media conversion prog is for changing wma and mpeg files to quicktime movie files. most of my songs are in mp3 format, and unless mpegs are the same, i'm assuming mp3s aren't allowed to convert. o.O

or i could be entirely wrong because of my lack of sleep. good luck anywho. new gadgets are fun. not so fun when they don't work they you want them to, but you know...

okay, i'm off to bed. running on 9 hours of sleep in two days really fucks me up.
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we've established that the device itself is an MTP device, not UMS. If you're hooking it up to a Windows machine (though paradigm should be similar for other OSes), then you can still sort-of browse folders on the device, it just won't let you copy files outside a very specific type range right onto the device.

Check the documentation; these kind of "multi-format" devices usually have a special directory in their virtual folder structure where you can drop any file type, and then the device will play only those that it does support.

Alternatively, there might be a way to change the device's operation mode to UMS (USB Mass Storage), so it will act like most thumb drives and such. This will likely involve updating the firmware to the most recent version, newer than factory. This is a good thing.

Finally, failing those options, hit up official tech support. But one or the other of the above ought to work.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there an option somewhere to set it to :disk access mode" or some such terminology? the engadget review said they had no problem dragging and dropping a couple hundred mp3s at a time.

according the the user manual you need to set it to MSC mode, not MTP mode.

MSC(mass storage class) is for drag and drop in Windows Explorer. it will show up under My Computer if it's set to MSC. if it's set to MTP(media transfer protocol) it can only be synched with teh software).

the setting is under Settings/USB modes/MTP or MSC, on the player itself, i assume.

it's on page 14 of the manual. pdf available here:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1400

edit: basically what tiogshi said. hah. i just skipped the previous posts and scanned the manual. my bad. but the terminology is a little different.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that manual does say that photos and video can only me transferred with the software media converter that came with it, as did the engadget review.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoySetsFire wrote:
that manual does say that photos and video can only me transferred with the software media converter that came with it, as did the engadget review.

Turns out that's false.

I figured it out this morning. I blame being overtired after a double shift at work killing my mind. If I view the device through "explore" instead of the normal file navigation, for some reason that will let me just pull files from any old folder and drop them directly in, without needing to be converted. All the documentation *does* say that everything has to be done through the converter, and also says that only the certain formats I mentioned in the first post are acceptable, but I'm in the process of dragging over mp3s directly, so it lies. For some reason.

Thanks, though!

EDIT: And I actually didn't read your guys' other responses until now. Um, yeah. Still, thanks again for the effort. Turns out, I can be a touch braindead on occassion.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Since this thread's here anyways...
I just got a new thumbdrive, actually a Smartdrive with some U3 stuff on it. I can just remove all the U3 crap and use it the way I wanted to originally, just as portable storage, right?
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woc: There's a link in the wikipedia article you posted to the uninstaller.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEAH WELL YOU SHOULDN'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: