Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aug. 21: The Ball 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
You eat animals to support the farmers?

Yes. The beef I will eat starting about October is currently eating grass in a nice pasture owned by a farm family who are friends. Some of the pork we eat comes from the same family. Unfortunately, they don't do chicken. Harder to find people locally raising chicken around here, other than those producing eggs, which are not what you want to eat. As was mentioned, the reason you think chicken has no taste is because of the the way it's produced, raised in cages, bred to have huge breasts, in the shortest time possible. I would love to find a source around here for some of the old breeds, that have been allowed to run around eating bugs and worms. Then you have real flavor! Like the beef I eat.

Yes, I do buy meat that supports farmers. Farming, or related industry, is what most of the people around here do. Put them out of work, I'll be out of work as well. Stop feeding cows, pigs, poultry and other livestock corn and soybeans, you'll have a bigger surplus of grain than we already have, especially since our president and his energy secretary want to do away with using the byproduct of corn to fuel our cars. Things are generally not as simple as we think. Meat does not magically appear in supermarket coolers. Do away with meat and you are also doing away with people's jobs
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, support local farmers. But that's not the reason you eat meat - it's the reason you eat locally farmed meat. I eat meat too, by the way. I wasn't on a vegan crusade here. I was just defending goat cheese from a fate worse than death!
Bogy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Sure, support local farmers. But that's not the reason you eat meat - it's the reason you eat locally farmed meat. I eat meat too, by the way. I wasn't on a vegan crusade here. I was just defending goat cheese from a fate worse than death!

Very Happy

I won't deny that I enjoy cooking and eating meat, but I also am very cognizant of where my food comes from, and who I support by what I eat. Whether it's vegetables picked by union workers, or meat raised by people I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: