Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 5, 2017: MMXVII 28
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: December 5, 2017: MMXVII 28 Reply with quote

Surprise surprise, no-one in the Sinfest Bomf District likes their job...
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see some of their resumes. Keep in mind that lady liberty used to work there. Some of those resumes might be surprising.

(Added) I also wonder how many of those women would be interested in a nice safe 1950's style marrage to a good man with a house, car, and white picket fence?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
Keep in mind that lady liberty used to work there.

uh ... no?
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
(Added) I also wonder how many of those women would be interested in a nice safe 1950's style marrage to a good man with a house, car, and white picket fence?

Very few, if any?
Pedro_Martini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
I also wonder how many of those women would be interested in a nice safe 1950's style marrage to a good man with a house, car, and white picket fence?

Are you proposing?
Wic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro_Martini wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:
I also wonder how many of those women would be interested in a nice safe 1950's style marrage to a good man with a house, car, and white picket fence?

Are you proposing?

He'd have to ask the lady's parents for permission first and have a job with sustaining, stable income. Much easier in 50's, but much, much harder now.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

uh ... no?

Hmm. You might be right. It could be someone acting as her. I was remembering - http://sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7650&highlight=liberty

Taemon wrote:

Very few, if any?

I suspect that is true. In Tat world, it does almost seem that being happily married to a good person is worse than working in the BOMF district.

Pedro_Martini wrote:
Are you proposing?

I would have to get to know the person first. I don't think marriage is the evil empire that several people around here think it is. But I do believe that both people going into it should understand each other and be happy with the idea of spending their life together.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
It would be interesting to see some of their resumes. Keep in mind that lady liberty used to work there. Some of those resumes might be surprising.

I cant remember that Part. Maybe you mean the young Woman who looks a bit simular to her?

Strix Varia wrote:

Rather many of them i guess. I mean, it is not easy to earn alone enough Money these Days, to suport a Family. Thats why so many Woman are working. Not cause they like it, but cause they want it.
Ok, it got rather normal that a Woman goes and finds a Job like a Man today. But thats a different Topic.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:

are you intentionally implying that these are the only two options or is that just an unfortunate coincidence unrelated to whatever opaque point you are actually trying to make
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

uh ... no?

Hmm. You might be right. It could be someone acting as her. I was remembering - http://sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7650&highlight=liberty

No. No. What? That isn't Liberty - it's someone being made to impersonate her to rile up Sam. How is that not obvious. She doesn't even look like Liberty.

Strix Varia wrote:
Taemon wrote:

Very few, if any?

I suspect that is true. In Tat world, it does almost seem that being happily married to a good person is worse than working in the BOMF district.

But you were talking about 50's-style marriage. These women are sex workers. They maaaaybe don't want to be the property of a single man anymore than they want to be the property of multiple men.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's my take. They are currently trapped doing things they don't want to do; i suspect they value the prospect of freedom too much right now to entertain being tied down again (even with silken cords).

i don't think you understand how stultifying a 50's style marriage was. it basically trapped a woman into the position of being a child - she wasn't considered competent to hold a job, to manage her own money, to do much of anything all on her own. you are probably thinking there is an appeal in "being taken care of"....but isn't that the classic pimp line "i'll take care of you, baby"? maybe "a good man" would mean it when he says it - but at the moment, i don't think they would trust the words too much. they've heard all of them before.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

uh ... no?

No. No. What? That isn't Liberty - it's someone being made to impersonate her to rile up Sam. How is that not obvious. She doesn't even look like Liberty.

yeah. he obviously thinks its lib for a moment and panics before realizing its not her.

it happens again in another strip, too.

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2015-11-25

the closest thing to lib working at the red light district is the fact in her first appearance ever she appeared in a strip that was a transparent analogy for the issues with america and specifically she worked for sam as a sex worker as a metaphor for americas issues with capitalism or something - before either of them were actual characters, and before being retconned the next time the two of them appeared around probably 2008 - but she didn't work at the red light district. namely because it didnt exist yet. and that aspect of their characters has been completely erased, because it didnt fit with the tone of the comic at the time when they finally reappeared. and since it has not been mentioned since then, or at all, and since the strip is more or less the same as those politically incorrect rangers strips, it didn't happen.

so... yeah, no
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

are you intentionally implying that these are the only two options or is that just an unfortunate coincidence unrelated to whatever opaque point you are actually trying to make

No I am absolutely not implying that it is an "either/or" situation. They can be anything they want to be. What I am intentially implying is that I am curious that if someone were to tell them "I love you, would you marry me and try to live happily ever after?" What percent of them would say yes? If the answer is zero because all men are evil lying monsters, then so be it.

Taemon, the reason it wasn't obvious when I made the post was because, 1) It was a comic from nearly three years ago that I had no reason to think about until now. 2), the point I wanted to make with that statement was that many of the BOMF girls might have unexpectedly impressive skills to put on a resume. Just forget about the liberty bit, I already pointed out my own mistake. It doesn't change the fact that there might be some surprising skills out there.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

Oh? What's a man without a woman, then?

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: