Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 31, 2017: MMXVII 54
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronometry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess i just have to accept that physics is hella screwy in sinfest-verse.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
kagalei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronometry wrote:
well i guess i just have to accept that physics is hella screwy in sinfest-verse.

There is a walking, talking actual pig and the couches and chairs can fly you around if you're smoking weed. Physics and common sense died a long time ago.
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see somebody else around commented on what I was confused about, which was the missle pointing donwards when it hit PimpBot, yet somehow magically changed direction in mid air in 1 second and carried him up into the sky.

Not important. It is a comic after all, certain suspense of disbelief is expected. If we can have pot powered couch planes, we have have magic missles.
d5xtgr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of hoping for MMXVII to talk the mecha into changing sides, so he could recreate the Iron Giant "Superman" scene with the missile incoming.

Onimaru wrote:
Note the fact that it has PIERCED the giant robot, problem 2 and I'll explain why, when a Missile is fired it is ARMED even with a time delay it's NEVER more than 30 seconds to target, and the trigger for the explosion is in the TIP, along with the Payload, the rest of the Missile is for propelling it and guidance systems, so the SECOND that hit his chest BOOM.

For many kinds of modern missile, this isn't actually the case. Generally speaking, only smallish missiles detonate on contact. On the other end of the spectrum, you have nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles which are usually configured to detonate at a prescribed altitude thousands of feet above ground to increase their area of effect.

In between, you have specialty weapons that have peculiar mechanics for their specific application. Surface-to-air missiles are a mixed bag; some set a timer on impact to detonate after penetrating the aircraft, while bigger ones have proximity fuzes because even going off in the general area will take out the target. Bunker-buster missiles are designed to pierce deep underground before detonating, because that's where their targets are.

The rest of your objections are very valid though.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took those factors into consideration when I used the fact that it came off of Sam's Back, thus it's NOT a Surface to Air Missile, but rather Air to Target which is extremely rare to have anything beyond an impact tip. ASIDE from as you mentioned Bunker Busters, which is possible, but as those are designed with specific weights and such the changing of trajectories is made even more ridiculous. Not to mention that at those velocities, even advanced Missile Targeting Software is only accurate down to about 10 meters, what if it missed? What if just lodged itself into a building wall, no matter how carefully planned this was a disaster waiting to happen with no fucks given about the people around Pimpbot, or at the very least a BAD idea without considering the potential consequences.

I'm not saying that it's not POSSIBLE for a Missile to function on a Timer Delay, or be a high penetration type when it was a back mounted shoulder fired Air to Target Missile would be EXTREMELY unlikely. But again logic in Sinfest so the Missile Type I'll let slide I guess.

That being said in reply to the others saying variations of what Kagalei mentioned, 'Physics and Common Sense died a long time ago' while you're not wrong on that front, Sinfest is mostly a satire comedy with drama elements. The problem is those Dramatic Elements, how is ANYTHING supposed to carry any weight, any threat to anybody in story?

Seriously, why should we have cared at all if Roxanne got stepped on if it was just for a dramatic shock moment before one of the Fembots walked over and displayed a never before seen or hinted at ability to restructure bones from robotic will power turning her into a Synthetic Hybrid of Human and Bot.

I'm not saying Sinfest has to operate within reality, I'm saying it would be nice if there were SOME rules Tat would establish so we can actually give a damn, because if EVERY time he does something that puts the Heroine's in a bad light he does some unhinted at asspull to have them come out the other side unblemished, it just detracts from the story and message over all.

This isn't the first time we hit him with a 'WTF Tat' in the Forums, and subsequent comics just HAMMERED home the point of 'Nope they PLANNED it this way!' Despite the fact that there was no foreshadowing or any indication that the full intent wasn't what the comic initially showed and Tat didn't just back pedal when he realized that it was a shitty thing he'd portrayed.
Random Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that the fembot launching the missile is the one who is capable of using bizarre technomagic to accomplish inexplicable things. Given that it is already established that her influence can result in violations of the laws of physics, I don't think this particular event requires any more of an explanation than "it was magic."
Homeslice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

His reply is this comic, which basically amounts to, "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!! Magic Fairy Pixie Dust Power defies the laws of Physics, and Modern Weapon Design to make this a super safe fail proof plan of no one possibly getting hurt what so ever so you can't say the Fembot MIGHT be doing something wrong. NOPE NOPE NOPE!!"

And THAT is my general complaint.

Not trying to detract from your post, which is totally correct, but this is a comic where God hangs out in the clouds and a huge eastern dragon flies around.
0z79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

His reply is this comic, which basically amounts to, "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!! Magic Fairy Pixie Dust Power defies the laws of Physics, and Modern Weapon Design to make this a super safe fail proof plan of no one possibly getting hurt what so ever so you can't say the Fembot MIGHT be doing something wrong. NOPE NOPE NOPE!!"

And THAT is my general complaint.

Not trying to detract from your post, which is totally correct, but this is a comic where God hangs out in the clouds and a huge eastern dragon flies around.

You know, I can't watch Melancholia all the way through because of the way they completely fucked up orbital mechanics. Planets do not "slingshot" like that! If the sun were able to influence that planet to such a degree, it would also pull the sun out of wack; the planet wouldn't even need to impact Earth to completely destroy all life.

Do not even get me *started* on the tidal forces of such a large planet passing so close to our humble little mudball.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's no sound in space!
netsplit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
I took those factors into consideration when I used the fact that it came off of Sam's Back, thus it's NOT a Surface to Air Missile, but rather Air to Target which is extremely rare to have anything beyond an impact tip. ASIDE from as you mentioned Bunker Busters, which is possible, but as those are designed with specific weights and such the changing of trajectories is made even more ridiculous. Not to mention that at those velocities, even advanced Missile Targeting Software is only accurate down to about 10 meters, what if it missed? What if just lodged itself into a building wall, no matter how carefully planned this was a disaster waiting to happen with no fucks given about the people around Pimpbot, or at the very least a BAD idea without considering the potential consequences.

I'm not saying that it's not POSSIBLE for a Missile to function on a Timer Delay, or be a high penetration type when it was a back mounted shoulder fired Air to Target Missile would be EXTREMELY unlikely. But again logic in Sinfest so the Missile Type I'll let slide I guess.

That being said in reply to the others saying variations of what Kagalei mentioned, 'Physics and Common Sense died a long time ago' while you're not wrong on that front, Sinfest is mostly a satire comedy with drama elements. The problem is those Dramatic Elements, how is ANYTHING supposed to carry any weight, any threat to anybody in story?

Seriously, why should we have cared at all if Roxanne got stepped on if it was just for a dramatic shock moment before one of the Fembots walked over and displayed a never before seen or hinted at ability to restructure bones from robotic will power turning her into a Synthetic Hybrid of Human and Bot.

I'm not saying Sinfest has to operate within reality, I'm saying it would be nice if there were SOME rules Tat would establish so we can actually give a damn, because if EVERY time he does something that puts the Heroine's in a bad light he does some unhinted at asspull to have them come out the other side unblemished, it just detracts from the story and message over all.

This isn't the first time we hit him with a 'WTF Tat' in the Forums, and subsequent comics just HAMMERED home the point of 'Nope they PLANNED it this way!' Despite the fact that there was no foreshadowing or any indication that the full intent wasn't what the comic initially showed and Tat didn't just back pedal when he realized that it was a shitty thing he'd portrayed.

Maybe calm down a bit? You're getting angsty about the physics of missile with a hand interface for an android that was recovered from a mech that refuels by drinking barrels of oil like beers. Also people have hover boards and force fields. Their technology is different. Sinfest is about symbolism and social commentary, not an intro course into real world ballistics.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, netsplit, but this made no sense at all. Just that some stuff is nonsense doesn't mean that all stuff is nonsense. We wouldn't have a story at all, if that was the case.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, why where the fembots there to begin with?

I mean, I know that there was one of them talking to Sleaze (guess we're never going to address how she just sort of teleported to where pimpbot was, but whatever), but where did the other two come from?

On that note, why was the one on the hill armed and ready WITH A MISSLE?
netsplit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Caimsen"]
kagalei wrote:
Well, Tat doesnt want to make the Comic so realistic that somebody really dies. Exept the Year Incarnation and that one Assasinbot. Wait, didnt they find her Memorycard later and resuracted her?

well there's this guy

OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="netsplit"]
Caimsen wrote:
kagalei wrote:
Well, Tat doesnt want to make the Comic so realistic that somebody really dies. Exept the Year Incarnation and that one Assasinbot. Wait, didnt they find her Memorycard later and resuracted her?

well there's this guy

...Well someone's sensitive Razz
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, he might not have been outright KILLED in that comic, that's just his SOUL, we have no time frame on WHEN he died and his Soul went to hell, just that it did and he's wearing the T-Shirt. Yes you can assume that Tat immediately ripped the soul from his body and there's a lifeless husk on the ground somewhere, but that's up to you.

Second, there was no 'hand interface' she can digitally communicate and mess with anything she touches, so it wasn't designed for her to do so, just that she CAN, but that's been previously established so I have no issues with it.

And finally the reason I'm passionate about my complaining, is that again the problem is the lack of establishment of RULES, not that Sinfest doesn't follow any kind of pure REALITY, if you want what has to be the best example for this I can think of watch Justice League DOOM, won't go into Spoiler Specifics as to how something occurs or why. But a Catastrophic Spacial Disaster is heading for Earth and this exchange happens:

Superman : "Maybe I could push the Earth out of the way of the Blast!"

Batman : "Even if we had a WEEK I wouldn't have enough time to explain why THAT wouldn't work!"

And the reason for that? Superman pushing Earth OUT of it's orbit would fucking KILL everyone, literally the whole planet. Because that Comic Universe follows some semblance of 'Rules' based upon physics in OUR reality. But how fucking ridiculous is it that you can have SUPERMAN exist at all in a Universe with all his Reality breaking, Physics Breaking and pretty much GAME Breaking powers, that the Author can't just say, 'Fuck it, he does it anyways because... SUPERMAN!' ?Because it destroys any sense of tension or drama, if you want to have ANY kind of serious narrative to a story there has to be some kind of rules abided in some way or form.

So it's very much like Taemon said, Just because SOME aspects of the story are fanciful and ridiculous, that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING has to be. If the events of one comic have absolutely no bearing on the next because everything can change to whatever is convenient, that Tat has no need to establish what the limits, abilities and other factors they have to follow from one comic to the next, then what's to stop him from having the next big Disaster just have God's hand Pop out of the Sky, snap his fingers and 'Bam' Good Guys win cause God's feeling Generous, Great ending to the story right? FUCK NO!

Deus Ex Machina is a GREAT story telling technique, IF when it happens it FEELS like something amazing no one expected, no one saw it coming.... But if you go back, and you read or watch the show again, you can identify hints, little key points that set things up so you can TELL that all along the Author had this in mind, then you know he's been guiding AND deceiving you by distracting you from these hints until the big reveal.

Deus Ex Machina is a TERRIBLE Story telling technique, IF when it's used it comes completely out of nowhere with absolutely no build-up or explanation other than, "Yea... Because I SAY so! My story, so that's what happens...." Even for a daily serialized Comic, that is a Bullshit, Asspull technique and it's LAZY goddamned writing. It's especially egregious when later parts of the story go back to retcon the Bullshit as if it had always been there. Something Tat is infamous for doing.

I write as a hobby, I struggle to maintain and keep a narrative and solid story structure even HALF as good as Tat does MOST of the time on a goddamned daily basis. So yes, I get UPSET when I see him resort to LAZY storytelling tactics, and I come here to vent and chat about it. Not like I'm going to drop the comic, not like I'm out here attacking anyone who LIKED the comic, just when someone asked me what my problem was with it, I took the time to explain in detail. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: