Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 January 2018: MMXVII 59

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homeslice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: 5 January 2018: MMXVII 59 Reply with quote

Ooooooh

She traded with them.

I think...
kagalei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 January 2018: MMXVII 59 Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:

Ooooooh

She traded with them.

I think...

I think it's due more to the fact that a giant robot with the ability to electrocute them to death at any given moment is no longer functioning.

Also, yay, the girls are okay!!!
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old stories wrote:
A man meets death in a city. Death looks at him in surprise. The man realizes that if death can see him, he is doomed to die soon. In hopes of escaping fate, the man takes his fastest horse and rides it till the horse drops next to the ocean. He then hires the fastest ship in port to take him as far away from land as the captain could manage.

The spirit of the man that death had come to collect in the original city looked at death and asked "I know why you came for me but why did you look surprised at seeing that other man?" Death answered "I was surprised because I am scheduled to collect his spirit tomorrow after a shipwreck in the middle of the ocean many leagues from here. I wonder how he is going to get from here to there in only one day."

Or the soldier who avoids being killed dozens of times during a long brutal war only to die at home buy choking on a bit of food. He gets angry at death when she comes to collect him. "You couldn't kill me by bullets or landmines or poisonous gas so you had to cheat and kill me like that?" Death pulled out a card with the man's name on it and handed it to him. The card had two dates, the date he was born and the current date. She then responds, "These are the only two dates I have ever seen for you"

These are both very old stories. Most likely everyone has heard some version of them. The point is that death doesn't care about the various challenges, accomplishments, or machinations of mortals. She only knows when your time is up. In an earlier comic, deaths drones scanned those women's lifelines as about to end. Now a robot is blown up and their lifelines are topped up again and death is all "Oops, never mind then. Maybe later. If the storyline allows"

I know this is a family based comic and I certainly have no desire to see dead bodies scattered around but I don't really think I can respect Sinfest's character of Death after this. The only one she seems to be able to do her job with is the annual year end collection.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
old stories wrote:
A man meets death in a city. Death looks at him in surprise. The man realizes that if death can see him, he is doomed to die soon. In hopes of escaping fate, the man takes his fastest horse and rides it till the horse drops next to the ocean. He then hires the fastest ship in port to take him as far away from land as the captain could manage.

The spirit of the man that death had come to collect in the original city looked at death and asked "I know why you came for me but why did you look surprised at seeing that other man?" Death answered "I was surprised because I am scheduled to collect his spirit tomorrow after a shipwreck in the middle of the ocean many leagues from here. I wonder how he is going to get from here to there in only one day."

Or the soldier who avoids being killed dozens of times during a long brutal war only to die at home buy choking on a bit of food. He gets angry at death when she comes to collect him. "You couldn't kill me by bullets or landmines or poisonous gas so you had to cheat and kill me like that?" Death pulled out a card with the man's name on it and handed it to him. The card had two dates, the date he was born and the current date. She then responds, "These are the only two dates I have ever seen for you"

These are both very old stories. Most likely everyone has heard some version of them. The point is that death doesn't care about the various challenges, accomplishments, or machinations of mortals. She only knows when your time is up. In an earlier comic, deaths drones scanned those women's lifelines as about to end. Now a robot is blown up and their lifelines are topped up again and death is all "Oops, never mind then. Maybe later. If the storyline allows"

I know this is a family based comic and I certainly have no desire to see dead bodies scattered around but I don't really think I can respect Sinfest's character of Death after this. The only one she seems to be able to do her job with is the annual year end collection.

Yeah, to be honest, this story arc wasn't one of Ishidas best. I mean it had its good points, MXVII was a great character, and I hope her personality carries over to the next year, and it was nice to see Roxane get a happy ending. But, with fembots coming in at the end, and the magic missile, and with what just said, the ending of the arc just kind of felt week to me. On the plus side, the art was amazing, and it might lead into more interesting story lines.
How will the sex workers make money now? What type of work will Roxane look for? What effects will Pimpbots destruction have on the setting?

Here's to next one.
Vixine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psssh, what is this, thinking about the consequences of them suddenly having no jobs in a society literally run by the devil? They're no longer sex workers so now they instantly have long, fulfilling, successful lives.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly its more like "the pimpbot was a looming threat that can do them in any moment, remove the threat and the chance of survival increases, chance of survival increasing means liklihood of being able to get out of situation is more likely"

also: we know at least ONE (1) member of the sisterhood is on the scene. the sisterhood is implied to have been started by nana, who owns a bakery ... which at one point (in her introduction, in fact!) had a "help wanted" sign ... meaning very reasonably, said member of the sisterhood could hook these girls up with jobs working for nana?
DragonFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the Devil? Is this the end of the whole "Fight the patriarchy" plot that's been going for years?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last we saw of him he threw a party ... which was organized with the intention of teaching vainglorious a lesson? but i'm not sure what that lesson was supposed to be since nothing really happened at the party except that li'l e might have gotten some information about his mom but nothing's really come of that, either. we'll have to wait and see until one of them appears next. otherwise, d-man hasn't been up to a whole lot.

i don't think this is the end of the patriarchy plot but likely either the end of the "forced sex work and its harmfulness" subplot ... or... uhm... Not The End but just another cool-looking series of events that contribute nothing in the long-term? but it's kind of too early to be sure, so i dunno.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
honestly its more like "the pimpbot was a looming threat that can do them in any moment, remove the threat and the chance of survival increases, chance of survival increasing means liklihood of being able to get out of situation is more likely"

also: we know at least ONE (1) member of the sisterhood is on the scene. the sisterhood is implied to have been started by nana, who owns a bakery ... which at one point (in her introduction, in fact!) had a "help wanted" sign ... meaning very reasonably, said member of the sisterhood could hook these girls up with jobs working for nana?

At the very least, it seems reasonable to me that the sisterhood would have some sort of job assistance program.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
old stories wrote:

The issue you have is that those old stories of Death are based on the concept of a 'Fated Death' it means you have no agency, no choices in life, as it's predetermined when that time will come. Fate WILL happen, no exceptions.

This is countered by the belief of Destiny, Destiny is that we DO choose and our actions and the actions of others have bearing on our lives, how far we go, where and when we will die.

The difference here is that THIS Death abides BOTH sides of the Coin, he holds true to the sway of Destiny, in that the choices and actions can effect the 'time remaining' for an individual. But when it comes to Yearly Persons, physical representations of something that can ONLY exist for exactly their time before expiring, that is the domain of Fate.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

The issue you have is that those old stories of Death are based on the concept of a 'Fated Death' it means you have no agency, no choices in life, as it's predetermined when that time will come. Fate WILL happen, no exceptions.

This is countered by the belief of Destiny, Destiny is that we DO choose and our actions and the actions of others have bearing on our lives, how far we go, where and when we will die.

The difference here is that THIS Death abides BOTH sides of the Coin, he holds true to the sway of Destiny, in that the choices and actions can effect the 'time remaining' for an individual. But when it comes to Yearly Persons, physical representations of something that can ONLY exist for exactly their time before expiring, that is the domain of Fate.

It's not actually a fate or destiny thing for me. Mortals see our time as being one day after another. I just expect that a cosmic being that is supposed to exist throughout time and space wouldn't be so Linear. I fully agree that our choices determine how long we might live or how we might die. Someone like a conscious manifestation of death wouldn't care how long or short we made our own threads. They would be more likely to exist outside of time where they could simply see where the lifeline ends and then go meet it. That takes nothing away from the living destiny that we make for ourselves. If that were the case, since the pimp-bot didn't actually kill anyone, nobody's lifelines would have ended and death wouldn't have wasted her time showing up.

The sinfest death seems more like a rent-a-cop who gets orders from a mysterious boss to go out and "see if anyone is dead yet".

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion on what a "Good respectable death" should be. As if that phrase actually had any meaning.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
The sinfest death seems more like a rent-a-cop who gets orders from a mysterious boss to go out and "see if anyone is dead yet".

sinfests grim reaper - slash - angel of death has been a hitman since his very first appearance why are you only just now realizing this

Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also he literally just showed up for 2017? he wasnt there for any of those other women. yes, yes, "but their timers were almost up""he was checking their expectancy" - so what? for starters they still had enough sand in them that he didn't have to worry about them yet anyways... and additionally, for them itd be a lot less immediate than it would be for the embodiment of the year whose life is shorter and goes by much quicker for them than it would for any ordinary human.

so, either way that gave them enough time to change their circumstances so their expectancy wouldn't be as short, and like he's going to care or hold them to it since it's not like he was there for them anyways.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I can buy that. She isn't death. She is a deathling assistant hit person. That works well enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: