Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 15, 2018: Power of Imagination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hamlet, addressing a skull: "alas, poor Yorick! i knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy" he was the king's jester, a role which gave license for even the most pointed of jokes...in theory, at any rate.

sorta depended on the individual king, i imagine.

Oh it's from shakespeare. I haven't read any of his work.

oooh, why I oughta! I oughta!!

... I oughta get a life, is what I oughta, but I'm kinda dead, so it's difficult

actually I'm surprised you've not read *any* Shakespeare, I was of the impression it's taught in schools all over the world, but then maybe you haven't been to school cos some what don't and things

Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:

I thought you were being serious, my bad if you weren't. It can be hard for me to tell, especially with text.

On that, I would've thought the "my eyes are undressed" gave it away

bide a wee I'm trying to get my post count higher in case anyone was wondering

also I was looking to have a post that covers the entire screen so there's that as well.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hamlet, addressing a skull: "alas, poor Yorick! i knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy" he was the king's jester, a role which gave license for even the most pointed of jokes...in theory, at any rate.

sorta depended on the individual king, i imagine.

Oh it's from shakespeare. I haven't read any of his work.

oooh, why I oughta! I oughta!!

... I oughta get a life, is what I oughta, but I'm kinda dead, so it's difficult

actually I'm surprised you've not read *any* Shakespeare, I was of the impression it's taught in schools all over the world, but then maybe you haven't been to school cos some what don't and things

Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:

I thought you were being serious, my bad if you weren't. It can be hard for me to tell, especially with text.

bide a wee I'm trying to get my post count higher in case anyone was wondering

also I was looking to have a post that covers the entire screen so there's that as well.

oh hey I moved this stupidness to another page! lookit me! woo!
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

I didn't go to high school so that's probably the reason I'm so unfamiliar with his works outside of the obvious "wherefore art thou" reference and the end death scene.

Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:

I don't even know what you mean when you say "my eyes are undressed" hence my confusion.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing about shakespeare is that it's full of quotations.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly unreadable for a modern audience. Just read the summaries of the big hits on Wikipedia, that's what I would do. Should do. Any day now.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody Important wrote:
Yorick wrote:

I didn't go to high school so that's probably the reason I'm so unfamiliar with his works outside of the obvious "wherefore art thou" reference and the end death scene.

Yorick wrote:
Nobody Important wrote:

I don't even know what you mean when you say "my eyes are undressed" hence my confusion.

oh, see, I was reversing the typical "I'm undressing you with my eyes" cliché /trope come-on, which you may or may not be aware of
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the thing about shakespeare is that it's full of quotations.

Shakespeare was a plagiarist. He took all these lines people say all the time and stuffed them into his plays
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
It's mostly unreadable for a modern audience. Just read the summaries of the big hits on Wikipedia, that's what I would do. Should do. Any day now.

no, really - go see it performed! shakespeare _wrote_ it to be performed, and the live word is often more comprehensible than the written one. and as i said - even if you can't find live performances near you, you can always see them on film. brannagh did a bunch of plays, pbs did a great thing a couple years ago with all the 'henrys' kinda put together (i believe it was called "the hollow crown").

honestly, you have to see at least _one_ shakespeare play performed in your life.

if only to find out how much of it you've already heard...
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have seen a couple (on television). Way back, though.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a theatre degree and i really don't like Shakespeare. it was... not a popular opinion. i used to not feel one way or the other about it, but everyone demands you have an opinion so i went with "too many dick jokes to be taken as seriously as it is."
Bogy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just see "West Side Story". Singing, dancing, mostly understandable dialogue, plagiarism, all wrapped up in a neat package.

I did go to high school, and college, and while I wasn't a theater major, I did have to read a bunch of Shakespeare. At least it is more readable than Chaucer and my real favorite, Beowulf (gag, gag), which isn't a bad book if it was in English, instead of sounding like my English son in law and his father when they want to be jerks.

Last edited by Bogy on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read Shakespeare in its original form, but not anything written in Old English like Beowulf. Things are usually lost in translation when you switch languages (or historical versions of languages), especially in poetry, but sometimes it is best to find a version that's readable for you.

However, if you ask me the best author in the English language is my man Oscar Wilde.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Bogy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
I did read Shakespeare in its original form, but not anything written in Old English like Beowulf. Things are usually lost in translation when you switch languages (or historical versions of languages), especially in poetry, but sometimes it is best to find a version that's readable for you.

That's why I laugh at people who get upset when a new translation of the Bible comes out, and (gasp) they changed a word somewhere. I don't read the Bible in Greek and Hebrew on a regular basis, but I have in the past, and still remember enough to do a study of a passage I have questions over. Islam and Judaism have the right idea, requiring their members to study in the original language. Christianity should do that, but we can barely get the clergy to do it these days. When people, even other pastors, maintain that every word of the Bible must be held as inerrant, I ask them which manuscript they hold to be the inerrant one. Then I get a blank look. My Greek New Testament has as many footnotes with variant texts as there is the "generally held to be most accurate" version on the page.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are even greek and hebrew sufficient? i seem to recall jesus probably spoke aramaic.

yeah, the number of fundamentalists who believe jesus spoke king james' english is quite amusing...especially as i understand that translation does take a few, shall we say, liberties?

but really, no theater-goers? i guess i'm spoiled being in the proximity of (and a subscriber to) San Diego's Old Globe Theatre; we generally get a couple-three a year (this summer: the tempest and much ado about nothing).
Absynthe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
are even greek and hebrew sufficient? i seem to recall jesus probably spoke aramaic.

yeah, the number of fundamentalists who believe jesus spoke king james' english is quite amusing...especially as i understand that translation does take a few, shall we say, liberties?

but really, no theater-goers? i guess i'm spoiled being in the proximity of (and a subscriber to) San Diego's Old Globe Theatre; we generally get a couple-three a year (this summer: the tempest and much ado about nothing).

We have a local amateur group on Whidbey that does a round of plays every summer. Quite good, actually, if not up to the quality of the festival in Ashland. Haven't seen the list for this year yet, but it's nice to sit in the grass with a bottle of wine and enjoy the Bard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: