Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 14, 2018: Rendezvous 13
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: April 14, 2018: Rendezvous 13 Reply with quote

If Tat's point is that this is all too cozy and friendly to be truly radical, I think that's nonsense. The Sisterhood ARE radicals, no matter how quaint they wrap their bomf remedies. They are trying to overthrow the very world order.
Draculaura

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's like, they keep a space of safety for those who need it but they're aggressive to oppressors

Tengo que ir a la tienda a comprar mantequilla y queso.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could mean that consorting with radicals does not automatically make you a radical. On the other hand anyone can be a radical with the right inspiration
Bogy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radical is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think I'm a raging radical. Others think I am a boring conservative. Then again, it depends on the issue.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogy wrote:
Radical is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think I'm a raging radical. Others think I am a boring conservative. Then again, it depends on the issue.

Yeah, but it doesn't depend on the paintings you put up on the wall.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in an unjust society the truly just are radical by necessity etc etc blah blah
Bogy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Bogy wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't depend on the paintings you put up on the wall.

It might, if I were an artist. Instead, they judge me on the sermons I preach and the things I write. Or say at various meetings.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
in an unjust society the truly just are radical by necessity etc etc blah blah

When oppression is law, revolution is order?

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
KALXAK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: April 14, 2018: Rendezvous 13 Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:

If Tat's point is that this is all too cozy and friendly to be truly radical, I think that's nonsense. The Sisterhood ARE radicals, no matter how quaint they wrap their bomf remedies. They are trying to overthrow the very world order.

*when yall still don't get that radical is from root, not from being an fanatic extremist*
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: April 14, 2018: Rendezvous 13 Reply with quote

KALXAK wrote:

*when yall still don't get that radical is from root, not from being an fanatic extremist*

Give 'em the boot, the roots, the radicals
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: April 14, 2018: Rendezvous 13 Reply with quote

KALXAK wrote:

I don't think Taemon or anyone else here said anything like that. It's mostly non-feminists (and also non-activists) who equate radicalism with fanatic extremism. I think one of the points of being radical is that more extreme measures are needed to combat injustice (such as anti-fa members punching neo-nazis in the face) which is sometimes necessary to keep evil at bay. That sort of activism helped keep the nazis from gaining power in Britain before WWII.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get kind of an extension of that. which is that radicals are just ordinary people who have decided they can't continue putting up with the status quo. if we lived in a perfect society, where everyone had equal rights and opportunities, including things like access to health care and education, where no one was in danger of starving or being homeless or arrested or shot for no reason, i doubt there would be many radicals around. it's when things _aren't_ perfect, and you can't get a change towards perfection because the very ideas the system is operating under are wrong - then, you get radicalism.
Bogy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i get kind of an extension of that. which is that radicals are just ordinary people who have decided they can't continue putting up with the status quo. if we lived in a perfect society, where everyone had equal rights and opportunities, including things like access to health care and education, where no one was in danger of starving or being homeless or arrested or shot for no reason, i doubt there would be many radicals around. it's when things _aren't_ perfect, and you can't get a change towards perfection because the very ideas the system is operating under are wrong - then, you get radicalism.

For the most part I agree with you, and this is certainly the world I work to bring into being. Unfortunately, if we had that world, say if you or I had the power to decree that was now the way things would be, without a corresponding change in the hearts and minds of some, there would be those who be radicals to bring back their "right" to have more than others who don't "deserve" to have what they have.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

look I already told you it's all wrong, the radical is the root
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, radicals want to uproot the whole cause of the problems, removing them root and branch.

and you're right, Bogy- I always forget there are people who view my perfect world as the worst possible one (fully of commies and hippies and free love).

there's always someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: