Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 May 2018: Better Programming 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homeslice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: 10 May 2018: Better Programming 10 Reply with quote

Would anyone have a good link to explain what the Nordic Model is? Google just seems to bring up Scandinavian economics in general.
Eiden

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of several methods experimented with (in this case, in Nordic countries most infamously) for bridging the issue of criminal prostitution and the related social problems, like sex trafficking.

Amnesty International has called for an end to it for multiple reasons which should be a perfect opportunity for TinT to come by to say that it objects to such a declaration.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one who finds D-Man saying "What the hell" funny, am I?

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Argus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pöpcørn! Laughing
Valerie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminalize the pimps.
Criminalize the johns.
Decriminalize the prostitutes.

Does this mean Tat is okay with sex workers as long as they work for themselves? But how would they do that without "johns?" If I'm recalling, a "john" is just any client of a sex worker, right?
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... that's a hopeful sign.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Criminalize the pimps.
Criminalize the johns.

Does this mean Tat is okay with sex workers as long as they work for themselves? But how would they do that without "johns?" If I'm recalling, a "john" is just any client of a sex worker, right?

Nah, see, it just means the sex workers don't get in trouble with the law when they're caught in flagrante delicto, while their customers do.

Don't worry if it doesn't make sense. Because it's not supposed to.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Criminalize the pimps.
Criminalize the johns.

Except that this is all part of a parody of sorts - and the Johnbies saying "decriminalize" before were clearly portrayed to be in the wrong. So I don't think these slogans - Nordic Model, Decriminalize the Prostitutes - are meant to be positive things.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Criminalize the pimps.
Criminalize the johns.

Except that this is all part of a parody of sorts - and the Johnbies saying "decriminalize" before were clearly portrayed to be in the wrong. So I don't think these slogans - Nordic Model, Decriminalize the Prostitutes - are meant to be positive things.

Nah, they are. They were shown in a positive way before the zombie parody. Looks like Tat discovered the idea and liked it for the "The only innocent party is the prostitute" message that the comic adheres to.

Really, though, I did decide to give the Nordic model a fair shot. Dissociate it from the statistics, from the studies and from any background it might have. I'm not a sociologist, I'm a programmer. A systems engineer. So let's see how the system should work.

Business model-wise... Well, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. "Criminalize the pimps" I think almost all of us think it's a good idea and relatively easy to implement. "Criminalize the client," though... Well, jeez, to even make a comparison I had to imagine a shop window with a sign of "None of this might be purchased..." And yeah, not to get graphic, but the only method for the client would be taking the product by force, wouldn't it? (It should be clarified at this point that prostitution, or its exercise, is not a product but a service, but without points of comparison in the service department I had to think of it as a product, offensive as the idea might be)

But the real problem is legislation-wise... Now, I don't know Sweden? But America has a huge problem with it. United States Code, Title 18, Section 2:

"(b) Whoever knowingly and willfully causes an act to be done which if directly performed by him or another would be an offense against the United States, is punishable as a principal"

A model in which prostitution is legal but purchasing the services of a prostitute is illegal makes every prostitute an accomplice. And accomplices are a pretty big deal in US law, which is mostly supported by its own history, so even if you want to strap in a "doesn't count" label in prostitution (And good luck with that) any halfway decent lawyer attempting it, be it in defense of a client or for a personal agenda, will find some form of exception or background that will make a criminal out of the prostitute anyway, but now succeeding the illusion of them having to be protected by law.

It really IS like programming. Like finding a system that's inherently flawed but instead of fixing it some person comes in and tries to implement patchwork so that it looks nice while the business logic bursts in flames.

I don't understand how this can be more appealing than making prostitution into a legalized, regulated business and attempting to remove the elements in it that actually cause harm.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters

Last edited by Leohan on Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If repercussions existed in this comic, that television executive would soon be free to expand her horizons and discover a better path to happiness. Because she would done be fired. Maybe not for allowing the hack to happen in the first place but certainly for sitting back doing nothing about it. And if D-man catches her enjoying the situation, her next month would be hell while he puts her through a deep background search to see if she is a mole working for someone else.
KALXAK

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman D-Man, it's the finale, we'll be done in a sec
KALXAK

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
One of several methods experimented with (in this case, in Nordic countries most infamously) for bridging the issue of criminal prostitution and the related social problems, like sex trafficking.

Amnesty International has called for an end to it for multiple reasons which should be a perfect opportunity for TinT to come by to say that it objects to such a declaration.

Oh yeah, I miss TinT. She was the only person here that knew what she was talking about.
KALXAK

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how I feel coming to the forums these past few days:

Taemon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So KALXAK, you support the decriminilization of prostitution? I'm surprised.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the Quotes are skyrockening and she has the Time of her Life Very Happy

By the Way, what would be the female Version of a "John"?

And i am still wondering if Tat knows about how things are here in Austria. The Woman can be legaly a Prostetute. With insurance and all other social stuff. Pimping is illegal, but that doesnt prevent that some People dont do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: