Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 12, 2018: Better Programming 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilla

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Context matters, and needs to be understood. The real stumbling block is when these stories are meant to be one-size-fits-all. Remember that this narrative still exists in the real world. It's not all sex workers, but it is some sex workers. As long as we all know the story is about those in that context, it isn't so misguided.

The problem is that it has shades, and it's not so black and white. I kind of want to explore more about how Blue and Fuschia got involved in all this. Really, Blue is about as close as we have right now of someone who chose their line of work and enjoy it, but... she's also very villainized for it. That's why I think she might be my favorite character. She contains contradictions and multitudes.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
Damn Tat just drop the SWERF Prostitute comics, please it's getting redundant we can only see you draw a Square and call it a Circle so many times before we realize you're just not willing to listen.

I am tempted to quote Draculara's previous post, but I don't feel like being cynical.

I thought a lot about this though, and I do want to bring up something. Anybody remember the last time we saw Slick? It was a about six months ago when he was imprisoned in that weird mirror dimension by Sleaze after reading that weird script. So, has he been in a coma? Is he okay? What the fuck? Can we begin his redemption story-line now? Like we did with Squig? Can Monique stop being a Mary-Sue gender-swapped expy of the author? That last one is my own interpretation, yours might be different.

Honestly, what I want, is for Sinfest to focus on character again, because it makes everything better! My favorite strips of this comic are character moments! Like when Monique cut her hair, that was a huge character moment, I nearly shat myself when I first saw it! It gives me shivers going back and reading it. Now look at me, I've turned into this guy. Great.
Tyger42

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss when Sinfest was funny. Hey, let's mock Slick's over the top misogyny! 'nique's shallow, materialistic, pop culture fad chasing! Squig's perversion! But, no, apparently mocking extreme stereotypes = endorsing them these days. Married With Children would get ripped to shreds if it were aired today. Sad

Don't get me wrong, there's still some parts of the new slant I like. 'nique and Green are adorable, as are Lil' E and Tang. But, damn, too often the funny takes a back seat to ramming extremist political agenda down our throats.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyger42 wrote:
I miss when Sinfest was funny. Hey, let's mock Slick's over the top misogyny! 'nique's shallow, materialistic, pop culture fad chasing! Squig's perversion! But, no, apparently mocking extreme stereotypes = endorsing them these days. Married With Children would get ripped to shreds if it were aired today. :(

Well. There's a goddamn good reason for that.
Tyger42

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Tyger42 wrote:
I miss when Sinfest was funny. Hey, let's mock Slick's over the top misogyny! 'nique's shallow, materialistic, pop culture fad chasing! Squig's perversion! But, no, apparently mocking extreme stereotypes = endorsing them these days. Married With Children would get ripped to shreds if it were aired today. Sad

Well. There's a goddamn good reason for that.

Yes. Because people have fucking sticks up their asses and can't grasp that, as I said, making fun of horrible behavior isn't endorsing it. The opposite, in fact.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah. because it was bad.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyger42, are you actually defending the view that early Sinfest and Married with Children meant to oppose sexism? Because that seems to be what you're saying, odd as it sounds.
Tyger42

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Tyger42, are you actually defending the view that early Sinfest and Married with Children meant to oppose sexism? Because that seems to be what you're saying, odd as it sounds.

Do you think that by making the sexist characters look like absurd losers was meant to support it?

Samsally wrote:
nah. because it was bad.

Yeah... "Bad" show that was and still is one of the highest rated sitcoms ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with both of those is that they make light of misogyny. So or Slick making some chauvinist comment or doing something horrible, even when it's meant to make them look like tools, is only ever met with eye rolling and tolerance. That shit is way worse than that. It's pervasive and destroys lives. That's why it's serious business. When you don't see how massive and ubiquitous those shitty behaviors are, they're a lot easier to laugh off.

That's a big part of what privilege is.

You have the privilege to ignore sexism because it doesn't impact you. You don't have to think about race in every interaction because your race isn't marginalized and heavily negatively stereotyped. You don't have to be an ambassador for "your people" 24/7.

Playing off insensitivity and bigotry for laughs normalizes it. "Oh, that racist Uncle Stan. What a douche, yeah? Just like Slick. Let's laugh about how terrible he is, since he isn't a threat to us."
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the joke was always "haha, it's funny cuz it's true" so... yes.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyger42 wrote:
Taemon wrote:

Do you think that by making the sexist characters look like absurd losers was meant to support it?

You don't think the daughter character was problematic?
Tyger42

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Tyger42 wrote:
Taemon wrote:

You don't think the daughter character was problematic?

No more so than the son. Both were an idiot bimbo and the male equivalent. If anything, the son was worse for his sleeziness.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKVeteran wrote:

I thought a lot about this though, and I do want to bring up something. Anybody remember the last time we saw Slick? It was a about six months ago when he was imprisoned in that weird mirror dimension by Sleaze after reading that weird script. So, has he been in a coma? Is he okay? What the fuck? Can we begin his redemption story-line now? Like we did with Squig? Can Monique stop being a Mary-Sue gender-swapped expy of the author? That last one is my own interpretation, yours might be different.

for fairness, two of those six months (at least) covered about 3 hours at a party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: