Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 20, 2018: Repair 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: June 20, 2018: Repair 18 Reply with quote

Wait, is that a return of a, like, 18 year old joke?

Actually, it's more like a running gag.

Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder: was this entity blocked or, on the contrast, formed by the relationship between Slick and Monica at the beginning of this comic?...
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Sleaze?
Meh - he was always a part of Slick. He was just made more tangible by a devil girl who wasn't afraid of a chance of boners contained within free hugs.

Okay, I'm just looking for an excuse to link to older comics now.

PS: By that time Slick seemed to be dealing well enough with his inability to become something other than a friend for Monique, but that dark side might have gotten a boost when they stopped being buds (read: it had definitely gotten a boost).
tamalthean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: 18 year old running gag, I kind of suspect this is Tat's way of showcasing how his style has changed over the years, like a barometer of artistic ability. Each time a different character, each time (except the first) a different phase in his drawing style, but (so far) only the chibis to keep the comparison consistent.

It's kinda cool, really:
-The Calvin and Hobbs style era
-The more manga-esque, experimental period focused on how the lines "feel" rather than on anatomical structure
-Coming into his own style, less focus on free-flowing lines, a bit more structure, but not as much as the C&H era
-Now, moving away from starkly defined borders, moving towards more nuanced greyscale/light/shadow and backgrounds.

Thanks for the refs, Argus!
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamalthean wrote:
but (so far) only the chibis to keep the comparison consistent.

I get the feeling that, within Sinfest universe, only the chibis have the emotional (im)maturity to do something like that. Very Happy It's my personal head-canon that character height here is indicative of more emotional maturity, except for all those numerous times when it isn't. Laughing Or maybe, if you don't count the actual children, about half of the Sinfest universe population are just naturally short... Except for any of the fancy people. All fancy people are tall, apparently.
AngelLilly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget:

tamalthean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count Pooch as a chibi.
Happy Lil' E...I guess Lil' E is special. He shows up more than once. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up again as Lily. But dangit, his presence counters my "each time a different character" theory!

I like your emotional immaturity theory, Argus, but then the question is whether any of the chibi characters will "grow." That would be interesting. Emotional maturity = physical growth spurt. I can't really imagine Squig as any taller than he already is.

The "except for all those numerous times it isn't" bit is pretty strong, though. Seymour being a prime example. Although I feel like he's been drawn "taller" in recent comics...
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamalthean wrote:
Seymour being a prime example.

Naah, Seymour still does plenty of stuff to fit the bill. Like the camping out example above. Smile
I was mostly thinking about some taller characters being exceptions...
Although, okay, let's face it, "maturity" here is really subjective and can be applied to a lot of little things if you want. Smile Most of the major characters here have more than a few sides to them.

tamalthean wrote:
but then the question is whether any of the chibi characters will "grow."

It's already happening! Very Happy
The Colourful Jester wrote:
Still can’t get over a tall Crim.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: