Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 25, 2018: Repair 23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelLilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: June 25, 2018: Repair 23 Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, teh NOES!!!

Human trafficking runs rampant in war torn countries... Newflash at 11

Tat, I don't know what bugs me more. That you're just discovering human truth or that you're making a Disney version of it.

What will it be next? Children working in sweatshops so you can buy a pair of denim for bargain price?
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay human/sex trafficking as a punchline! woo! we're all current and modern!
Cesario Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks may feel free to correct me if they feel I am wrong.

I don't think these last few "comics" (for the lack of a better word at this point,) are directed at the historic Sinfest audience.

I don't think Tat is trying to make a funny; I don't think he's been trying to make jokes at the expense of his born-again radical feminism belief system. Rather it seems to me that he is using this medium to explore various radical feminism topics. He has gone so far as to mock his long-time audience when they protest the new narrative in new strips.

With that said, his last, like, few months worth of strips haven't been funny as they have been kinda sobering, if not slightly watered down. Like today's episode in pimp-world.

The topic is a lot more complex and nuanced beyond:
US invades country because freedom fries for all.
Traffickers move in and abduct only the women.

Something Tat doesn't do a lot of justice for imho.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it exploring though? It's just "sex work is bad" everyday for months on end. I can't wait for it to be over. If it'll ever be over.
Cesario Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
How's it exploring though? It's just "sex work is bad" everyday for months on end. I can't wait for it to be over. If it'll ever be over.

This perspective seems to be common here, from what I read in the open letter thread.

It's clear as dirt that Tat feels as though he's exploring it. It may not be from an objective point of view when you look in from the outside. But I am sure it is as clear as a sunny day in paradise for Tat when he looks out. Smile

On the other hand, there is little one can do when your daily medium is a bonafide comic strip with a typical 4-panel view per day. I think there is a point to be made, here, that Tat is trying to paint with a small brush, but all he has in stock are large ones. But I don't think that analogy is doing him enough justice.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Tat is now expanding into the idea that the only thing that America does is random destruction for no apparent reason. No Charity work. No progressive culture. No legal protections for race or religion. Just destruction.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now we present Sick Sad World: Sex Work Edition.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's not forget, 'Forced Sex Servitude, Endorsed, Supported, and EVEN Encouraged by the US Military Industrial Complex!'

Apparently it's a well established fact that Soldiers go in, bomb the fuck out of a place, kill people, displace the populace and then HIGH FUCKING FIVE sex traffickers to come in and kidnap and enslave the women because AMERICA FUCK YEA!

As a Soldier Tat, not American, but Canadian. Who has friends in the US Military, who fight and believe in PROTECTING people from this, doing what they can to help, even in the face of an unfeeling corporate Government that's only doing it for the wrong reasons.... You make me fucking sick. Narrow the strokes of your fucking brush you goddamned self-righteous hypocrite.

*Edit* Just because I know it might cause confusion, and a lot of arguments that have very little to do with what I'm upset about, the REASON I said HYPOCRITE is that using All Encompassing Wide Brush Strokes Arguments that ignore the different individuals in a respective Faction, in this case the Difference between the US Government and the US Soldiers, is just spreading blatant ignorance and lies.

Just like how others paint Misandrist Psychopaths, Radical Feminists and Feminists all with the same brush so they can dismiss all of Feminism as being just as bad/dangerous as a VERY SMALL minority.

So yea, I'm upset that you're painting MY friends who while IN actual Warzones, fighting to protect the LIVES of the Civilians they're there to help, being human shields for those Civilians against their own people trying to subjugate them. Some having actually been part of operations to break down Human Sex Slave Trading Rings IN those War Torn Countries. You don't get to say, "Yeah they're all the same, they support child rape prostitution. They high five pimps and rape girls because Patriarchy."
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I don't want to be a bummer... But I'm fairly confident TinT is actually a co-writer for Sinfest. Perhaps someone who knows Tat personally, perhaps someone who Tat picked up somewhere to get a female perspective towards female issues, and we are unlucky enough that it had to be her, but the discourse and manners are way too similar for it to be a coincidence, I think.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
Actually Tat is now expanding into the idea that the only thing that America does is random destruction for no apparent reason. No Charity work. No progressive culture. No legal protections for race or religion. Just destruction.

Gee.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesario Rose wrote:
Folks may feel free to correct me if they feel I am wrong.

I don't think these last few "comics" (for the lack of a better word at this point,) are directed at the historic Sinfest audience.

I don't think Tat is trying to make a funny; I don't think he's been trying to make jokes at the expense of his born-again radical feminism belief system. Rather it seems to me that he is using this medium to explore various radical feminism topics. He has gone so far as to mock his long-time audience when they protest the new narrative in new strips.

With that said, his last, like, few months worth of strips haven't been funny as they have been kinda sobering, if not slightly watered down. Like today's episode in pimp-world.

The topic is a lot more complex and nuanced beyond:
US invades country because freedom fries for all.
Traffickers move in and abduct only the women.

Something Tat doesn't do a lot of justice for imho.

It doesnt look like Tat wants fun in his Story very much. The Topics are not so great for that, exept you want to see the same Jokes every 2 Weeks.

I can get what Tat wants to tell us, but it really bugs me and i have to question how he sees the World. Ok, i must admit i dont know how it looks like in the Usa or Canada. But here in middle Europe, most illegal Prostetuts come from East Europe, far south East Asia and a few from Africa. It is rather uncommen to that they are from Syria or the Iraq. I really like the internet Joke about the Usa with "Oil is found, so they need some Freedome" but this is not how it is.
If there is a War, the People will run away and not look straight for a Job. I know it is just a Comic. But i wonder if this is just a overpointed View to make the Comic a bit more edgy or he really thinks it. Maybe all and maybe nothing.

@Cesario Rose: Problem is, the Comic started with the porpuse to be silly and funny and not to reflect on some heavy Topics. You cant do that really good with just 4 Panels per Day.

@Leohan: Wait, Tint is a Girl? On the other Hand, that doesnt matter. Hey, i have a worser Scenario for you. It is Tats Account.
I am still surprised that we didnt got a Comicstrip about that the Woman can drive now all over the World, since Saudi Arabia lets them have a Licence.
I mean, isnt THAT a real big Point, compared to many other?
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caimsen wrote:
@Leohan: Wait, Tint is a Girl? On the other Hand, that doesnt matter. Hey, i have a worser Scenario for you. It is Tats Account.

Yeah, I considered that, but TinT's bigotry and irrational rejection of trans-folk seems too honest, so a theoretical TinT to be Tat maskerading as the opposite sex would be akin to Trump pretending to be a Mexican, really.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Zilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially seeing the latest strip, June 27th, I think you might be right. It's painful. Particularly because he doesn't understand the stuff he's strawmanning. At all.

Like, if it was an accurate portrayal and he was willing to engage the real positions held by the people he disagrees with, it'd be a strong message. It would be worthy of respect, even if it comes to different conclusions. But all I see is ignorance, and trying to frame everything in black and white, and dying on a hill for what by all means should be a righteous cause.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither situation is great but either explains recent events and responses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: