welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinfest Secrets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...well it is pretty hard to pass up meeting a professional toddler. And you could provide proof I do indeed wear striped pants. I'll think about it. Smile

Also, my social anxiety is stupid. It doesn't recognize non-threatening people as non-threatening. I will have to sit and draw a depiction of it sometime.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean like this?

Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Hmmm...well it is pretty hard to pass up meeting a professional toddler. And you could provide proof I do indeed wear striped pants. I'll think about it. Smile

Also, my social anxiety is stupid. It doesn't recognize non-threatening people as non-threatening. I will have to sit and draw a depiction of it sometime.

Of course, if social anxiety were rational it wouldn't need explanation, it would just be prudence. I'm just saying I promise to be nice to you, because I'm generally a nice guy, no matter how I may come across on the internet.

Yes, Thy, those are striped pants.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen couldn't harm a fly. He's also a great Seattle tour guide. What's not to love? Now I'm mad that I didn't get an anxiety ridden chance to meet stripey when I was in Seattle. Sad
Dro

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't really stripey pants, though, are they?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm actually down to my last pair of striped pants, but yes, I have and wear them. I also wear sparkly star pants.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear cargo pants, but I don't usually pick who I hang out with on that basis.

I use numerology.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Just did some numerology for the name stripeypants, and it sats i both want to be recognized for my ability to handle great responsibility, and I have the overwhelming dream to have no responsibility. So I want people to love me for a skill I hope I will never ave to use?

My social anxiety isn't just, "Ahhh! People are scary!" A huge part of it isthis interaction:

Brain: Omg we have to meet up with somebody?
Me: Yeah, and we're going to Disneyland and getting ice cream and-
Brain: STOP BREATHING,
Me: ...Whut?
Brain: EVERYTHING IS BAD STOP BREATHING.
Me: Ummmmm...okay?

That's about as much sense as it makes.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My social anxiety doesn't kick in until a bunch of factors are met. It can really confuse people.

-Lots of people
-Smallish space
-I'm unable to speak and be heard

I'm usually okay if only one is met. Sometimes okay when two are met. But all three and I start panicking. Lucky for me I can usually breath but it does end up with me hiding in the bathroom. All in all, could be worse.

The not breathing thing can happen to me, too, but it centers itself around other shit.

Anyway I don't know what my point was. Attempt at solidarity, I guess. Anxiety sucks, sorry you have to deal with it, stripey.
Desire

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ all of you!

I didn't know (or forgot :\) you moved to Washington, Patty! Another thing to look forward to to when we finally move! Though probably in about 2 years we should be able to finally afford to take a trip back home (to both Washington and NJ) to see our familes so maybe we can actually visit folks before we move! Smile

(No guarantees though, it all depends on when I'll be able to go back to work, which depends on Rhett adjusting to school well, over this next year. Which I really hope he will, while I don't miss much about Jersey, I do miss my family.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine so long as someone I already know well is going with me and it becomes a choice between going into the situation or leaving them behind(I'll never choose to just leave them behind), or if I'm in a crowd and doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with anyone around me and they're all busy with things that have nothing to do with me, or if I'm only going to be meeting a couple of new people, but as soon as that isn't the case I just automatically flee all humans.

Usually this just manifests as going to great lengths to avoid other people when I'm out and about (dodging into side-roads and whatnot if I think they haven't already taken notice of me) but on rare occasion it directly interferes with my plans.

Like, once I tried to join a club, but it took me half an hour longer than it needed to just to get to the door because I kept sidetracking, and then when I actually got there I just turned around, walked away, and hid in an empty bus stop, crying.

I've always had this problem. When I was a little kid they found me hiding in my locker because I didn't want to go out on the playground.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that sounds awful. I'm usually a little nervous meeting new people, but nothing like any of those stories, and it's gotten better as I get older. That sucks. How do you meet amazing people?
Azmoten

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
All of that sounds awful. I'm usually a little nervous meeting new people, but nothing like any of those stories, and it's gotten better as I get older. That sucks. How do you meet amazing people?

Mostly, in my experience, you don't. On top of that it makes it doubly hard to even meet relate-able people with similar issues, because both of you are going out of your way to avoid ever meeting anyone including each other.

Else-wise you can lurk on web-comic internet forums.
<- Like this guy.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get around it by being as interesting as possible and starting up weird conversations in unexpected places. For instance, totally made a friend in the fabric store over the weekend because she laughed when I said I like ladybugs. I'm just lucky my anxiety is so peculiar about when it decides to set in.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
How do you meet amazing people?

repeated incidental encounters usually does the trick

there are plenty of situations where this happens that I can put myself in without any problems

also making one friend usually makes me totally comfortable with meeting all of their friends
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next
Page 170 of 173

Jump to: