welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest Reply with quote

I haven been sure where this post belongs, so in lieu clogging up another thread I'm just starting one. This thread can be about whatever you damn well please, it doesn't concern me. I made it because I have one question and don't know who to ask:

For a variety of reasons from serious illness or long-term prescription opiate or for some other entirely different reason I'm not even aware of: the fact is that I have pretty low testosterone level and my doctors want me to start taking a supplement. The thing is: I am very satisfied with my sexual and gender identity, it is who I am. If I start messing with hormones which will supercharge some masculine aspects of my personality will that be changing who I am? OR am I the way I am now because I'm deficient in certain hormones and the supplements will just be restoring normal levels of functioning. Would it be wrong to refuse to take this medically prescribed testosterone just because I like the way I am now?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I haven been sure where this post belongs, so in lieu clogging up another thread I'm just starting one. This thread can be about whatever you damn well please, it doesn't concern me. I made it because I have one question and don't know who to ask:

For a variety of reasons from serious illness or long-term prescription opiate or for some other entirely different reason I'm not even aware of: the fact is that I have pretty low testosterone level and my doctors want me to start taking a supplement. The thing is: I am very satisfied with my sexual and gender identity, it is who I am. If I start messing with hormones which will supercharge some masculine aspects of my personality will that be changing who I am? OR am I the way I am now because I'm deficient in certain hormones and the supplements will just be restoring normal levels of functioning. Would it be wrong to refuse to take this medically prescribed testosterone just because I like the way I am now?

Taking hormones doesn't change your gender identity. It doesn't change who you are. It doesn't change your personality or make you a raging psychopath, either. It's not going go make you all of a sudden unable to keep from doing Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions at random. You do not become 'another person' when you take hormones.

I don't know that it would be wrong, but I think it would be smart to do more research and consider the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, when transgender people take hormones, whether it be testosterone or testosterone blockers or whatever the case may be, it doesn't change their gender identity or anything, it just makes , y'know, existing, more comfortable for them.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gave me the munchies for awhile. That might have been psychosomatic, though, and I was taking a much higher dose than what Finnegan will probably be taking.

The big changes happen when you first start taking it, with potential mood swings. Eventually those go away, though, after you adjust. And changes really do depend on the dose you take.

By the way, if you don't have a big budget and they prescribe testosterone shots for you, try Stroehecker's or APS Pharmacy. APS charges $30 per bottle, but myself and some other folks .i know who tried them all had problems with them filling the prescription. Stroeheckers charges $60, and they are an actual, reputable pharmacy. Otherwise, Rite Aid and Target usually charge the lowest (In my area, it is $80)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hey, anyone who has any questions about trans stuff, you can ask me. Doesn't matter what it is. Just try to be polite.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make things clearer without divulging too much personal info: I have been living an asexual lifestyle for a little less that ten years now. Now I don't mean celibate where one has desires but chooses to ignore them. I mean asexual, I don't find things sexually arousing and I don't get sexually aroused. That not to say that things don't happen biologically down there and it certainly doesn't mean that I do not engage in meaningful romantic relationships with anyone. Sex just isn't a factor. And I truly love living this way, social situations are so much simpler when that one factor that everyone is thinking about just doesn't exist.

I'm pretty certain that long term narcotic use damaged my sex drive (a know side effect for prolonged use) and that the low testosterone has resulted in feminine characteristics becoming more pronounced, but I like being this way. I'm afraid if I use this stuff it'll be like puberty 2.0 and it'll all change.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. Worst case scenario, you can just stop taking it.

I wouldn't do it just because the doc thinks your numbers are low, though.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low testosterone can be a factor in a lot of other things beyond arousal. Low T can contribute to depression and lack of energy, as well as muscle loss and insomnia. If you have issues related to low T then taking a supplement may help. It comes in a lot of forms (injections, pills, gels, etc), though the one I'm most familiar with is a cream you apply before bed. It's important that women not come in contact with it, so they'll often have you put it on your feet and wear socks to bed if you sleep with a woman.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Low T can contribute to depression and lack of energy, as well as muscle loss and insomnia.

yeah, those are definitely issues.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, sex drive increased, but not by a whole lot. I don't think you are bound to gain a giant sex drive with testosterone.

Have you asked your doctor what the dose they'd be prescribing is? If you voice your concerns, they may be able to put you on a dose that is lower than is usually given, but which would raise your hormones to a safe level.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice!

Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I pirate this thread for my own question? I'd offer advice to Finn but I don't know anything about taking testosterone, so I don't want to make shit up.

Well I'm gunna pirate it anyway since it's surprisingly similar to something that's been on my mind.

I'm beginning to think that my complete lack of sex drive is mostly because of birth control. I take it because I'm a paranoid freak and also it helps with acne, but there is no denying when I look at my past self, the only time I really actually had a sex drive at all was when I was not on birth control.

.... So. Now I wonder if I should stop taking it or not. Even without, I'd probably still be considered gray ace, it's not like the drive was ever -high- by any stretch. It did make things like dating and stuff a lot easier though.

Bler. I just don't know. Plus it's pricey and money is tight and I really detest physicals and I'm due one before they'll even give me more.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please pirate this thread. I didn't want it to be all about my shit.

But I know what you mean, the last time I remember having a sex drive was before the pills and if I take these hormones they will reverse the effects and things will be back to normal. But I kinda like not having a sex drive. everything just seems less complicated and it's nice not having it consume your thinking... or at least filter your thinking. I know I should take this stuff for health reasons, but I'm afraid I won't be able to go back again to who I am now.

Last edited by Finnegan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try going off it? I dunno if birth control is similar, but with testosterone I have to decrease the dose gradually if I want to get off of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 1 of 45

Jump to: